Transmission Problems

/ Transmission Problems #1  

CABurton159

Tractor
NH TC29, Long 425
Help! Horrible Transmission Noises

My Long 425's transmission seems to be making a lot of excess noise. When I go forward it clicks, almost like a tooth is broke on a gear. It never does this in reverse. Also, it only happens whenever I try to go "fast". About Mid Range 2nd Gear is when it starts to become audible. It also makes a really loud whirring sound, but it happens louder in certain gears and quieter in others. Could it be a lack of lubrication somewhere? I already put new oil in the transmission 'cause the last stuff was coffee creamer.

Last edited:
   / Transmission Problems #2  
I not familiar with a 425, but most Long tractors are based on early Fiat designs, and have fairly simple transmissions. From your description, I suspect you have a bearing failure in progress, and when you operate the tractor in a speed where the loaded gears are closer to, and add more strain to the bearing in question, the louder and more pronounced the noise becomes. Most tractors of this type employ ball bearings and sometimes needle roller bearings for the most part in the gearbox area. I would suggest you drain the fluid, remove the trans shift/top cover, and look for anything unusual. Things like metal fragments at the bottom, or shafts that can be moved up and down or laterally with a prybar. Try locking the clutch pedal down and turning whatever shafts you can by hand or with a bar checking for roughness and noise. You can also jack up a rear wheel, shift the trans into various gears with a bar and roll the tire to rotate the shafts and observe what happens. If you can indentify a problem, you can then decide how to deal with it.

/ Transmission Problems
I was afraid it could be a bearing problem. I will definitely look into that. I recently restored it into a mostly operational condition about six weeks ago after it sat for ten years and was hoping it just needed to get used to running again. Would I need to find exact Long 425 bearings or could any (as long as they fit) work? As for the clicking I believe there is a missing gear tooth is the shaft from the transmission going into the rear end. Thanks for your help. 150px-Long_BMC_Nuffield_4-25_ad.jpg Here's a picture of mine IMG_2285.jpg

/ Transmission Problems #4  
Wow! I guess I missed that one. Doesn't look like a Fiat at all, more like a copy of an early Ford or Fergusen. As for bearings, I'm sure Long didn't make any bearings, they simply bought what was available. You should be able to match what you need through a good bearing house.

/ Transmission Problems
Thanks again. As far as I know (which isn't very far), Long contracted through BMC to make tractors, so its like a Leyland 154 with Long on the side. Heres a whole bunch of pictures of the same tractor with different names: Nuffield 425Nuffield tractor pic.jpg Marshall 154Marshall tractor pic.jpgAustin Leyland 154Austin Leyland tractor pic.jpgBMC Mini TractorBMC Mini tractor pic.jpgLeyland 154Leyland 154 pic.jpg

I figured it was a answer to the 8n or TO-20
I always wondered why it was called Long Manufacturing when they never manufactured anything.