Rear tires dying 16.9-30, Carlisle 6 ply OK?

/ Rear tires dying 16.9-30, Carlisle 6 ply OK? #1  

mvoght

Bronze Member
My Case IH 585 has the original rear tires. I found Miller Tire in Ohio carries the Carlisle brand, and also Goodyear in this size. Both are 6 ply, but there is a $200 price difference. there is also a Petlas in an 8 ply for less than the Goodyear.

My mechanic said to order it online as the price he could get was close to double, but is there any reason to spend a lot more for Goodyear?

Also, is it ok to replace just the one with the holes or should I do both (ouch$$)?

Thanks...and sorry if this is the wrong forum.

/ Rear tires dying 16.9-30, Carlisle 6 ply OK? #2  
Do em 1 at a time if you want. The small mismatdh in size wont matter. Sorry, I dont know whether 1 brand is more suitable for your needs than the others. 6 ply is usually enuf. If youre working a lot in the woods the added durability of 8 ply would be welcome.
larry

/ Rear tires dying 16.9-30, Carlisle 6 ply OK?
Thanks. We are pretty much driving on fields for mowing or dragging, a bit of FEL work but most of that is just turning the manure pile. I do wonder if the damage to the tires didn't happen when my husband was down moving an old pile of dirt, stumps, wire, fence posts and if he didn't inadvertently run over something, because looking at the tire with the hole, there are a lot of little slash marks.

I also need to watch more closely when one tire spins while turning the manure pile, which is on a concrete pad, see if the edge of the concrete might be causing it.

/ Rear tires dying 16.9-30, Carlisle 6 ply OK? #4  
Tires are pretty tuf. Are these really old and weather cracked down to the cord? How big are the holes. Are they round, or irregular [with the tire carcase torn]? A good agricultural tire shop may be able to fix them if not too bad. It would be worth a fix if the tire carcass is sound.
larry

/ Rear tires dying 16.9-30, Carlisle 6 ply OK? #5  
I think Carlisle tires are made by Goodyear.

/ Rear tires dying 16.9-30, Carlisle 6 ply OK? #6  
Actually Titan bought Goodyear out some time ago; hard to tell who makes what now or which "brand" is better than the other. It was pretty confusing when we went to replace the tires on one of our tractors; good luck.