JD 110 tlb front diff. issues

/ JD 110 tlb front diff. issues #1  

reider

Tractor
John Deere 110TLB
Hey Folks,
Had my front axle lock up on my 110tlb the other night. I found oil puking out of the axle where the driveshaft meets the front diff. I took the axle off the tractor today and found that input bearing on the diff had let go. I took the carrier out of the axle to get at the pinion to put new bearings on. Here is the problem, I found chips in two of the teeth on the ring gear. The one has about half the height or the tooth missing in the middle, and the other just a small chip. I am thinking that I will re-install the ring and pinion. Any opinions on this? I dont see it being a big problem because it isnt a high speed differential (compared to a car or truck), and I use the hoe more than the front bucket.
Thanks for your time,

Kyle

/ JD 110 tlb front diff. issues #2  
Sometimes there will be microscopic cracking...

Can you use dye or magnaflux to check.

The worst case is it lets go and causes more damage...

/ JD 110 tlb front diff. issues #3  
If you don't have a "choice" with replacing the ring gear - then... ya do what ya gotta do!

Myself... everytime, I've taken that "easier, short-cut" it's come back to bite me!

AKfish

/ JD 110 tlb front diff. issues #4  
If you skimp on the repair now it usually comes back to bite harder the next time, at least that's how it works with me. Just think it could break the housing next time it decides to break into smaller pieces.