1700 Ford 4wd Overheating

/ 1700 Ford 4wd Overheating #1  

ronhampe

Tractor
1979 1700 Ford & Cub Lo-boy
I've had it for 28 years and it has app. 4900 hours on it. No engine problems until now and not seeing any reduction in power nor do I see any signs of water in the oil or oil in the water. This tractor has always run hot, but now its throwing a gusher out of the overflow hose within 15 minutes. I have a 2nd 1700 that I bought as a parts tractor last fall. It only has 2200 hours on it but it looks like the fellow who had it never changed the oil let alone anything else. To rule out the radiator, water pump and radiator cap on mine being bad, I swapped those out. Also installed a new thermostat and gasket. Both radiators looked clean, but will try flushing them tomorrow. Hoses on mine are older but look okay.

Decided to wash off the engine today with the tractor running and noticed bubbling around the injectors. I assume that means that the bottom gasket on each needs replaced, but never noticed this before and am curious if this might have anything to do with the overheating.

Am guessing that it has either a cracked head or the head gasket is bad, but thought I'd ask before going that direction. All suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

I'd also like to find a new water temp gauge that reads in degrees. Any idea where I can buy these?

Also have a 3rd tranny and rear end if anyone needs one for parts. Just bought it a month ago and as far as I know its complete. Also have an extra clutch housing and fuel tank.

Thanks

/ 1700 Ford 4wd Overheating #2  
You might try a cooling system pressure test. There are simple pressure testers that attach at the radiator cap with which pump up pressure in the cooling system to test for leakage. This could help determine internal leaks.

Does your parts tractor have a steering box? I'm looking for a complete unit with steering wheel for a custom retrofit on a smaller tractor.

/ 1700 Ford 4wd Overheating
You might try a cooling system pressure test. There are simple pressure testers that attach at the radiator cap with which pump up pressure in the cooling system to test for leakage. This could help determine internal leaks.

Does your parts tractor have a steering box? I'm looking for a complete unit with steering wheel for a custom retrofit on a smaller tractor.

Thanks I'll try that and sorry no, only the parts listed. I hope to be able to restore the "parts" tractor.