International 240 utility

/ International 240 utility #1  

kmanfiremedic

Tractor
International 240 utility
I have a huge headache with this tractor now. first it died out when in 4th gear then I couldnt even get it to start. I assured that it was getting spark, then cleaned and rebuilt the whole fuel delivery system. it now starts and operates if I start it with starting fluid and runs in 1,2,3rd gears but when I get to about 3/4 speed in 4th it dies and cannot be started without starting fluid. I dont think its pulling fuel through the carb. some suggest that it may be going into 2 gears at once and its dragging the motor down but it doesnt explain why it wont start without the starting fluid. I need this tractor to work can someone help?

/ International 240 utility #2  
Doubt it is in two gears. Theoretically, the tran's. should lock up if in two gears, thus killing the engine period, and that would be from a dead dig, and stop dead in it's tracks if shifting on the move.

It does sound like a fuel restriction. Did you check for fuel flow from the tank..?? Clean the screen above the sediment bowl..?? If yes, and there is plenty of flow, how about the elbow screen going into the carb., where the fuel line attaches. elbow screen.JPG

An easy way to check for fuel flow into the carb., is to remove the small drain plug from the bottom of the bowl. All carbs. on the 240 had a drain plug, whether it was a Carter, Zenith, or Marvel-Shebler. Let it drain enough to empty the bowl, and see if it has a continous flow after what the bowl should hold.

Do you choke it any when you start it..?? In warm weather my 240, or the Super C's require no choking to start, but all have their own little thing about starting. It really doesn't take much to flood them in warm weather. In cold weather, they are a completely different animal. Choke for about 2 revolutions, then it will run fine, although you may have to feather the choke, until it warms up a bit

On the other hand, do you notice any black smoke from the exhaust..?? Seems strange to need starting flud to start/restart, but continue to run, unless it seems that maybe the governor is kicking in under a pull, when in 4th. Maybe too much fuel, and flooding out, when the governor kicks in a bit..?? Maybe have the proper socket wrench handy at that time to check for wet or dry plugs.

Have you checked the oil bath air breather to see if it is clean, or maybe overfilled with possible water contamination..??

If all of this is up to par, maybe check the intake manifold gaskets for leakage, carb. & to the head. This could be where your losing your intake vacuum pressure.

/ International 240 utility
Thank you DJ54, that helps big! At least now I know where to look. I appriciate the advice and will definatley follow it. I need this tractor to run by the weekend. Be safe

/ International 240 utility #4  
Does it run fine in all other gears i.e. under load and in work conditions or does it just stall in 4th.
All of DJ's points are great and that's where I would start too . Like he said ,over freezing I do not have to choke my 200 and it floods super easy if I do. Did you mess with the carb settings????

I would post here for help too
Yesterday's Tractors :: View Forum - Farmall & International Harvester (IHC)