Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #1  

Beltzington

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 3720
I'm sure there are variances between manufacturers but how many ft-lbs should you reasonably expect before the failure? If it matters I would like to use my 1/2" drive Kobalt socket with reducer and a 40" 3/4" breaker bar to remove my rotary cutter blades @ 550 Ft-lbs.

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #2  
Any reasonable hex size - say 3/4 and up should take 1000 ftlb or more.
larry

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #3  
I'm sure there are variances between manufacturers but how many ft-lbs should you reasonably expect before the failure? If it matters I would like to use my 1/2" drive Kobalt socket with reducer and a 40" 3/4" breaker bar to remove my rotary cutter blades @ 550 Ft-lbs.

Depends.

Some brands are better than others. Older Kobalt was Snapon (williams). Newer stuff isnt. All you can do is try it. May break. Then you get to check out their warranty

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #4  
what size socket? The adapter may break before larger socket walls.

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets
Don't know the socket size for sure which is one of the reasons I want to use my 1/2" drive set. My guess is the nut is 11/4". Mower is 50-miles from my house or I would find the size and buy the correct size 3/4" drive socket:). Breaking the 1/2" socket results in another 100-mile round trip.

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #6  
Don't know the socket size for sure which is one of the reasons I want to use my 1/2" drive set. My guess is the nut is 11/4". Mower is 50-miles from my house or I would find the size and buy the correct size 3/4" drive socket:). Breaking the 1/2" socket results in another 100-mile round trip.

1 1/4" socket, I think male 1/2" drive end of the adaptor is going to be your weak link for sure.

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #7  
1 1/4" socket, I think male 1/2" drive end of the adaptor is going to be your weak link for sure.

I agree, the adapter will most likely be the weak link., I use 3/4 drive for the larger nuts that are tight. I have also seen cheap 1/2 drive sockets shatter / explode so I use good impact sockets.

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #8  
Coralate the cost to the source of manufacture and there may be be some indications of what's possible.:thumbsup:

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets #9  
Can you find out nut size from cutter manufacturer? I think there must be adapters that are impact strength? Autozone and maybe others loan tools for jobs- maybe a 3/4 " socket or set?

/ Maximum Torque for 1/2" Drive Impact Sockets

Agreed - Thinking back many years I broke a Craftsman 1/2 to 3/8 adapter beneath a 24" breaker bar. Appreciate all the input, we have had so much rain in the last 3-days I will not be mowing for awhile so I will have the opportunity to determine the nut size and buy the correct 3/4" socket and extension.