No Ignition- Ford 1900

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900 #1  

Train

Silver Member
I have a 1900 Ford that won't make a sound when you turn the key. We used it to rototill the garden, parked it and now it won't start. It did sit out in the rain but that's nothing new for it. Here's what we've done so far.

Made sure the battery was fully charged.
Tested for voltage to the ignition switch - good.
Tested the ignition switch for continuity from the hot terminal to the safety switch terminal with key turned to start - good. ***
Tested for continuity from the safety switch terminal to the safety switch - good.
Tested the continuity of the safety switch - good.

Tested voltage at the safety switch with the key turned to start - nothing.
Also, when held in the glow plug position, the indicator doesn't seem to heat up.

I'm thinking the switch must be bad but *** seems to say otherwise.

Anyone have any ideas?

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900 #2  
Test 3 and test 6 are conflicting - which is true? Is the safety switch a clutch-depressed safety? If you jumper the wires around that safety will it start?
Jim

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900
Yes, it's a clutch pressed safety. I know those two contradict and that's what's got me baffled. Never thought to jump around the safety but with the continuity being good on the switch I don't think that will work. I'll try it later and see what happens.

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900 #4  
Any luck on the issue? BTW, are you able to get parts for the 1900 pretty readily?

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900
No luck. Put the jumper in and still nothing, but I was expecting that. In the last five years I've ordered wheels for it and also the parts to rebuild the steering box. Seems that parts are available.

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900 #6  
try making up a bypass wire right to start solenoid and have a wire to battery.

be setting in the seat and cross them and see if she turns over.

vom's and great for telling you you have enough voltage/current on a wire to make a meter read or a lil .1w lamp glow. but aren't good fro telling you if you can energize an electromagnet that has to actuate a starter solenoid/bendix..e tc.

do some SAFE jumper testing.

DO NOT get yourself run over. always set in the seat and be aware of what's in front of the tractor when doing these diagnostics that jump out safety switches.

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900
Tried a wire from the battery straight to the starter solenoid. Nothing.

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900 #8  
time to pull the starter then!

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900
Okay, so I pulled the starter and did a bench test. It all went okay so I installed it again, cleaned all the contacts, made sure the battery was fully charged. Turned the key..... silence. Tried jumping from the battery to the start solenoid, and it started. Even went with the fantasy of using it for an hour before shutting it off, hoping it would start with the key. I did say fantasy.

So the starter assembly is good, and all the continuity tests and voltage tests are good, keeping in mind what Soundguy said about voltage meters. Still, turning the key does absolutely nothing. When the key is in the 'on' position, the indicator light sometimes does not come on right away, and when it is on, the intensity of the light 'sometimes' fluctuates a bit. The other thing is when the key is held in the pre start position, the glow plug indicator remains cold, so I'm assuming the glow plugs aren't getting any power either. I'm still thinking switch, but is there anything else that I could be missing? Any other relays or something? What about the voltage regulator? Would that have anything to do with starting?

/ No Ignition- Ford 1900 #10  
i'm not sure why you are doing so much guessing, and so little testing.

a switch is just that. a set of contacts.

use some gator clip wires and start doing some bypasses and see what you get.