Hydralic oil in engine oil???

/ Hydralic oil in engine oil??? #1  

smittyd

Tractor
Massey 1240
Some how I have an extra 1 gallon of fluid(seems to hydralic) in my engines crank-case.?Any ideal on how it got there or the problem?I heard it was a rear main seal??Any help out there? Thanks Daniel

/ Hydralic oil in engine oil??? #2  
It wouldn't be a rear main seal. I is more that likely the seal in the rear of the hydraulic pump.

/ Hydralic oil in engine oil???
Jerry ,thanks for your reply.How easy is the seal to fix?Cost alot of cash?Full of questions,forgive me but your answers are greatly appreciated and helpful.. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

/ Hydralic oil in engine oil??? #4  
From looking at the shop manual and the parts manual for a MF 1240. That is what you have? It looks like the seal just pulls out of the pump when the pump is removed. It doesn't look to be to bad of a job. You could do it yourself. You will need seal part # 3702488m1 and a gasket part # 3702553m1.

Thanks again Jerry!I need to get myself a manual and look it up,right now the tractor is at the dealer and seeing if they will repair.I will see what they say Tuesday and go from there.I really appreciate the helpful info.

/ Hydralic oil in engine oil??? #6  
JerryG:

Think you're correct. I know for a fact that older Farmall's had a problem sometimes with the seal between the hydraulic pump on the front of the engine failing and allowing fluid to drain into the crankcase. He didn't say, but if that's where it is his hydraulic fluid level should be dropping by roughly the same amount the crankcase level is increasing. If that is the problem, should be fairly easy fix (you even gave hime part #s).

JEH

Well fellows my tractor got a new seal and gasket and still leaks, /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif so they put a new pump on it and now it still leaks fluid into the crankcase? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gifstill 2 quarts or so above???Now were breaking it open and looking toward the teck people to fix and find my problem. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifAny ideal from real tractor people on this confusing problem?All input greatly appreciated and welcome /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif Daniel

/ Hydralic oil in engine oil??? #8  
They did take your main hydraulic pump off and not you power steering pump?

Jerry they took it off, put a new $650 pump on and still the same problem.Was a rear main seal,tech guy fixed the problem only alot of money and no help from the dealer,was a factory defect and took me down the dirt raod I did'nt want to ride on. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gifReally shows how people have pride in there products,and support the people that provide them with a living.Guess I'll take it on to coporate headquaters and see where it goes.Wish me luck!I appreciate your helping me Jerry .. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hydralic oil in engine oil??? #10  
Is that a "wet clutch" setup, where the rear main seal is the only thing keeping the two oils separated?