I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales?

/ I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales? #1  

petrie

Tractor
IH 450
I just baled 890 bales and out of those it kicked out 40 small bales some only a foot long others 2 feet. I replaced the fiction wheel on the trip arm thinking that it was slipping but still does it.

/ I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales? #2  
Have to walk alongside it and watch to see what happens... On ours, the trip to trigger a knot (and a new bale) is run by a spiked wheel that runs along the top of the bale, that can have problems in loose hay.

Aaron Z

/ I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales? #3  
Fore and aft adjustment of the metering wheel shaft could be off either way. Too far back and the trip arm won't reset all the way down; too far forward and the new friction wheel won't grip the trip arm and drive it consistently.

Make sure the trip arm fits loosely between the cup washers on either side of your new friction wheel.

/ I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales?
it has slot that mounting bolts go through that are about 3/4 long it is almost all the way back maybe I will move it up about half way with the new fiction wheel in there that I installed and try that next cut. Thanks

/ I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales? #5  
it has slot that mounting bolts go through that are about 3/4 long it is almost all the way back maybe I will move it up about half way with the new fiction wheel in there that I installed and try that next cut. Thanks
On ours, its set so that the wheel almost touches the arm when it is in "tripped" mode, that way its nice and tight when it is working on the bale.

Aaron Z

/ I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales? #6  
In a rough field too much air pressure in LH tire can cause erratic bale length if an obstruction on the ground is encountered at the moment baler ties a bale.

/ I have a New Holland 273 baler that sometimes kicks out small bales? #7  
In my experience there are many causes of bales being too long - anything that causes the knotter trip mechanism to stall or not run consistently will result in the knotter not tripping fast enough, and longer bales will result, But the only thing that will *inconsistently* cause short bales is the trip arm not resetting all the way. That's about the only thing I know of that can cause the knotter to trip too soon after the previous bale?