small hole in diesel cap

/ small hole in diesel cap #1  

rmroper

Tractor
John Deere 750
I have a JD750 compact tractor that has a small hole in the diesel fuel tank cap (The cap is the plastic fuel guage.) Any ideas how to patch the hole? Will epoxy be immune to the diesel fumes in the tank?

Thanks for your guidance.

/ small hole in diesel cap #2  
You're not talking about a vent hole are you? As fuel is used there must be a way to get air into the tank to replace the fuel. If it's not a factory vent hole, perhaps it was put there because the original vent on the cap failed at some point. Someone who has this model will be able to tell you what should be there.

/ small hole in diesel cap
The fuel cap has a plastic window (1/4 in by 1 inch long) with an arrow showing how full the tank is. It's not a design feature, just a small chipped out piece. The hole is 1/8 in x 1/16 inch. I have it covered with plastic to keep dirt and rain water out of the tank. I think I just need to put a small drop of epoxy to seal the hole, but am trying to determine if the fuel fumes would react with the epoxy.

Thanks

/ small hole in diesel cap #4  
I have a JD750 compact tractor that has a small hole in the diesel fuel tank cap (The cap is the plastic fuel guage.) Any ideas how to patch the hole? Will epoxy be immune to the diesel fumes in the tank?

Thanks for your guidance.

There are epoxies that will hold up, you just have to find one. Most epoxy compounds once the chemical bond is done won't react with fuel or gas.

/ small hole in diesel cap #6  
Is a new replacement gas cap for your make and model available? Is a new one expensive? Just my thoughts.

/ small hole in diesel cap
Fuel caps are hard to come by for this model and cost around $100. I just hate to spend that much on a new fuel cap due to a small hole. I have already replaced it once.

I do appreciate your thoughts.