pto trouble

/ pto trouble #1  

hernando

Silver Member
Tractor
dk 4510 kioti and a 450 case track loader
on a massey ferguson 1540 the pto has a switch on the dash that turns it on and off.i think most compacts are this way. I was bushhoging in some thick blackberrys yesterday and the pto just stoped working....the switch was still on..so I turned it off and back on a few times...after a few min. it started working again,,,this went on all day but only in tall grass..could my pto clutch be slipping ? or could my dash switch be going out ? the switch has started to stick at times...just not sure what to check ...help me if you can thanks bruce and sorry for the long post..

/ pto trouble
anyone ? have any idea ???

/ pto trouble #3  
If the switch has started to stick at times, I would start there.

You can use a test light to check for power and ground. Work the switch several times during the process and watch for changes.

Or check the switch when you know it's working, and then check again when the PTO quits.

If the tractor sits outside, water could have gotten into the switch and corroded it, or the plug itself could be corroded, causing loss of contact.

/ pto trouble #4  
Look for any wiring that may have pulled loose. Going through any type of brush can snag things...wiring is just one of them.

/ pto trouble
thanks for the help that gives me a place to start,,,,,bruce

/ pto trouble #6  
Bruce, that is about how mine was. Replaced it and no more problems.

/ pto trouble
thanks jerry...going to try that first....

/ pto trouble
jerry you were right,,i changed out the switch,,,and all is well...thanks again for the help .........bruce

/ pto trouble
new trouble...it started the same thing all over again,,,,,,has anyone ever changed the pto clutch before ?? I hope it dont come to that going to do some wire checking first....thanks for anymore help yall can give.....bruce

/ pto trouble #10  
Hello, have you checked the sensor on the pto? My 6910 would cut out like yours on pto work and the pto sensor had gone faulty, while the switch was good.

Last edited: