Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more

/ Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more #1  

bstucker

Tractor
Kubota BX 1850, Case 580L
Hi folks,

I have just about pulled out all three of my remaining hairs while trying to trouble shoot what seems to a be a fuel problem.

I have a 3 yr old Kubota BX 1850 with 700 hrs. All maintenance done on time per the manual.

Recently, it started acting up. Once the engine warmed up, it would sputter a bit and run rough, occasionally slowing down almost to idle, cough for a few more seconds, and then run back up to full throttle (or whatever the throttle was set at). It would then run fine for anywhere from 15 seconds to three minutes, and then do the same thing again... cough, slow, then back to the throttle setting.

I have replaced both fuel filters, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the fuel lines, changed the fuel itself, and now finally pulled, disassembled, and cleaned the individual components of each fuel injector. I've bled the system each time.

The **** thing still does the same thing once it's warm... it acts as though someone is closing the throttle to idle, and then eventually revs back up.

Anyone else have this problem? What have I missed? Do I have diesel gremlins? Maybe I fed the damed thing after midnight??? :confused2:

/ Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more #2  
my bx 2200 does the same thing occasionally,i have yet to have anyone give me an answer,i havent called the dealer yet

/ Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more #3  
Are you sure that your fuel source isn't contaminated with gasoline?

/ Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more #4  
Possibly a partially plugged return line, off the injection pump..??

/ Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more #5  
Just a guess...

Perhaps intermittent electrical problem with the wire feed to the fuel pump?

/ Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more #6  
Have you checked the strainer in the fuel tank to make sure it's not clogged. If you disconnect the fuel line from tank to the filter and open the tank valve, you should get a gush of fuel. If it dribbles or is intermittent, your strainer might be clogged OR you fuel tank vent (usually a hole in the fill cap) maybe blocked.

/ Kubota BX sputters when hot and run at 3/4 throttle or more
Yep, that's basically what it was... I unhooked the fuel line between the tank and the inlet to the 1st fuel filter (the one before the fuel pump underneath the tractor)... with the fuel tank filler cap removed, the fuel should have poured freely just by gravity flow, but it was just a slow trickle. I quick blast of compressed air into the line that runs back into the tank popped loose a clump of wet hay that had coagulated at the strainer.

Don't ask how/why there was !#%*@#! hay in the tank... I run a horse boarding co-op facility, and the horse owners are allowed to use the little BX to move their hay and other small projects.

All of our boarding clients are (and always have been) only women. I've yet to meet a man who owns horses. I won't say more for fear of spending needless nights on the couch. :)

Have you checked the strainer in the fuel tank to make sure it's not clogged. If you disconnect the fuel line from tank to the filter and open the tank valve, you should get a gush of fuel. If it dribbles or is intermittent, your strainer might be clogged OR you fuel tank vent (usually a hole in the fill cap) maybe blocked.