1980 Ford 1700 Wont Crank, WOnt Start

/ 1980 Ford 1700 Wont Crank, WOnt Start #1  

Zack Walker

Tractor was running great today with no issues whatsoever.Turned it off to do some yard work and then went to restart it nothing would happen. Battery is good, horn,lights and engine block heater work with no problems. Any suggestions? Is there a fuse that could be giving me trouble that I am not aware of.

Thanks!!

/ 1980 Ford 1700 Wont Crank, WOnt Start #2  
Zack,

Check your clutch safety switch. follow the mechanism of the clutch pedal and identify a round switch with two leads going to it. That is a normally open switch. Once you depress the clutch that switch closes hence completing the circuit to start the engine. Tale the leads off and jump together and try to start.

Warning: make sure your tractor is in neutral. You do not want the tractor lunge forward causing damage or harm.

JC,

ps. Search the forum (NH operating) under my handle and Neutral safety and you will find lots of info there.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 Wont Crank, WOnt Start #3  
Tractor was running great today with no issues whatsoever.Turned it off to do some yard work and then went to restart it nothing would happen. Battery is good, horn,lights and engine block heater work with no problems. Any suggestions? Is there a fuse that could be giving me trouble that I am not aware of.

Thanks!!

Engine block heater wouldn't be connected to your battery, if it's a block heater. Does this start with a key or is there a push button? Either way when either key is turned or button is pushed is it passing voltage to the solenoid? If they key/button passes voltage, do you have it at the solenoid on the coil wire? If yes is the solenoid passing voltage to the starter? If no, then you have a problem between the key/button and solenoid. If you have voltage all the way to the starter, then the starter is bad.

Just follow the voltage, where it ends, that should be your problem.

It could even be a bad battery wire, or one of the wires in line with the starter. I have seen then fail inside of the connections points, be it the battery clamp of the starter end of the wire.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 Wont Crank, WOnt Start
Thank you JC.
I will it it try tomorrow once I get home from work.

Zack,

Check your clutch safety switch. follow the mechanism of the clutch pedal and identify a round switch with two leads going to it. That is a normally open switch. Once you depress the clutch that switch closes hence completing the circuit to start the engine. Tale the leads off and jump together and try to start.

Warning: make sure your tractor is in neutral. You do not want the tractor lunge forward causing damage or harm.

JC,

ps. Search the forum (NH operating) under my handle and Neutral safety and you will find lots of info there.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 Wont Crank, WOnt Start
Thank you.
I will try it when I get home tomorrow.

Engine block heater wouldn't be connected to your battery, if it's a block heater. Does this start with a key or is there a push button? Either way when either key is turned or button is pushed is it passing voltage to the solenoid? If they key/button passes voltage, do you have it at the solenoid on the coil wire? If yes is the solenoid passing voltage to the starter? If no, then you have a problem between the key/button and solenoid. If you have voltage all the way to the starter, then the starter is bad.

Just follow the voltage, where it ends, that should be your problem.

It could even be a bad battery wire, or one of the wires in line with the starter. I have seen then fail inside of the connections points, be it the battery clamp of the starter end of the wire.

/ 1980 Ford 1700 Wont Crank, WOnt Start #6  
This tractor has simple electrical system. starting system and pre-heat are two independent circuits on 1700. Preheat has nothing to do with getting the voltage to either starter solenoid, starter or any other system on 1700. clutch safety is only a part of circuit. bottom line is to track voltage to the starter.

Zack,
with tractor in neutral, wheels chocked and you can use a jump cable or a jumper battery to directly test starter bypassing any and all controls. Battery negative to a good ground and positive momentarily on solenoid to see if solenoid picks up, engages the pinion gear and then "starter on" and engine turned over.

JC<