New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #1  

svenlylethor

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 5420, 6430, & 6125R
Hey guys,

I've got a NH 570 baler that was working fine until last crop. I was baling alfalfa and it started making small half-sized bales. I'd say about 15% of the bales were short and the rest were all fine. I'm thinking it could be the trip arm. Maybe it's loose? Maybe it could be something else?

What do you guys think? What are all the things I should look into for this? Your help is greatly appreciated.

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #2  
Start with the trip arm. They have a habit of loosening up and sliding, doesnt take much to throw the length out of wack.

Other than that, make sure the linkage to the arm looks ok and isn't binding anywhere.

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #3  
Is the spring tension on the trip arm correct?

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #4  
It sounds as if the measuring arm isn't returning back down to it's stop after tying cycle is complete.

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales
   / New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #6  
Don't have an exact load but the pressure needs to be firm enough to keep the trip arm from skipping over the drive wheel. I.e. hitting bumps doesn't make the arm move. NOTE: this usually makes longer bales since the arm tends to fall and never trip the knotter mechanism.

To tight and it can prevent the arm from falling completely like TxJim noted which would cause short bales.

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #7  
Too much air in LH tire in a rough field can cause irregular bale lengths also.

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #8  
There are about a dozen causes of irregular bale length, but only about 3 for short bales.
The first thing to check is that the trip arm is free to pivot, check that the locknut on the pivot point is not overtightened then ensure the bush in the pivot is not rusted or out of shape. The trip arm has to be able to fall freely. there must be no obstruction to the trip arm falling back to the vertical stop.
The second is to make sure the metering wheel is properly adjusted, the metering wheel is held by bolts in slotted holes on the top of the bale chute, there must be a gap of 3mm (1/8 inch) between the friction wheel (which is inside two discs) and the trip arm
The trip arm can be worn

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #9  
There are about a dozen causes of irregular bale length, but only about 3 for short bales./QUOTE]

I've been associated with sq balers since the mid 60's and I can't think of a dozen things that can cause irregular & short bale lengths. Would you please list them? Thanks,Jim

/ New Holland 570 baler making short / small bales #10  
Thanks for the interest Tx Jim, like you I prefer to see substantiation of claims made.
I have only recently rejoined TBN with no posts from the more distant past. I am optimistic that I will have a bit more time now so can take part on the forum.
I was fortunate to visit the USA and canada some years ago and what an eyeopener that was to see the difference in haying operations in the northern United States and Eastern Canada. Throwers and the associated hay wagons are not used in our neck of the woods. Many of ur operators are ceasing small squares and going to rounds or big squares but small squares fetch a premium for the metropolitan based horse owners in particular and even higher prices to the very arid towns with horse and pony clubs.
Recent prices I have heard: $9 to $12 in Perth, $15 or more in Carnarvon (600 miles north of Perth) and up to $20 in Port Hedland (1000 miles north of Perth), I am getting $8 per bale on farm at the moment which amounts to $320 per tonne whereas 5ft rolls sell earlier in the season for around $150 to $190 per tonne on farm. For the climate around here I cannot make more per acre from any other crop that I do not have to go to jail for!!!!

To me the term irregular bale length means intermittent bales that are shorter or longer than the bale length set by the operator and the variation is greater than the acceptable range of variability.
There are more causes of long bales than short bales in my experience, and I have been associated with hay from childhood on my fathers property even seeing baling done with a Massey Harris stationary wire twitch baler with manually inserted wooden separators between each bale, hay brought in with a sweep and power to the baler via a broad belt from a tractor.
Back to the issue!
I have referred to three and an unlikely fourth cause already.
1. The trip arm not pivoting freely because of:
a overtightened locknut;
b rust in pivot point relevant for a machine operating ok the previous year and now out of storage;and
c deformed or damaged bushing in the pivot point.
2. Metering wheel not properly adjusted. If the clearance is insufficient the ttrip arm catches early as it drops instead od falling all the way to the adjustable stop.
3. The trip arm may be worn, on the 570 the trip arm is toothed and could give inconsistent bale lengths, usually bales too long if the wear causes slippage of the metering wheel but if the wear has the metering arm curve misshapen the the trip arm may catch too soon when falling.
The causes of long bales include the worn trip arm referred to above depending on how the wear affects operation and:
4 Worn friction disc which is the drive from the metering wheel to the trip arm, if that slips then more hay into the bale before trip arm is activated.. replace friction disc
5. Slippage of the trip arm on the friction disc caused by spring tension on the trip arm being too low >tighten or replace spring
6. Poor density adjustment:
a density too low.increase density
b wedges in the bale chute not delivering consistent bales
7. Hydraulic tension becoming variable
a pressure relief valve stuck >clean it.
b dirt in oil pipes etc causing uneven oil flow>clean out and change oil.
8. Uneven feed because of uneven windrows. Intermittent overfeeding can occur if a big slug of hay goes into a bale as it is about to trip then that biscuit is much larger than usual the bale is that much longer. I have found this as a particular problem baling pea straw out of windrows with multiple passes of the rake and more so if the windrows have been moved by wind.
9. Loose knotter disc brake. > tighten the spring loaded nylock nuts ton ensure correct tension.
10.Pickup drive belt not slipping another cause of overfeeding > adjust pickup drive belt or remove paint or rust from the pulley sheaves, another issue arising when balers are removed from storage and particularly so if stored in the weather between seasons.
11. Knotter stop not allowing it to release after the trip arm is activated or jumps forward >adjust the knotter stop .
12. Driving too fast and overfeeding the baler which can cause banana bales and irregular length bales. eg if instead of the recommended 12 to 14 strokes to fill a 36" bale the feed rate though even goes up such that there are 8 or 9 strokes to fill a bale the variation in bale length could be 5" without any uneven feed issues. With such rapid feeding if the baler accepts 8 strokes and ties the bale and on the next bale 8 only puts the trip mechanism on the brink of tripping a full extra charge goes into the next bale before tripping.
You can see how the rated capacity of a baler is arrived at.
A NH 570 optimal maximum per hour is 450 bales, ie 92 strokes per minute at 12 strokes per 36" bale for 60 minutes gives 459.999 bales and allowing for a few bales with more than 12 stokes comes near as ****** is to swearing to 450 bales per hour
Hope this helps, thanks Kevin.