Bad Deisel?

/ Bad Deisel? #1  

RMEADOWS

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1428
Sat I bush hogged for 10 hours with no problems at all. I filled my tank on Sunday. After about using my tractor for about 45 minutes it idled down and died. It would start but had no power.

After it sat for an hour, it started fine and ran for another 45 minutes and same thing...

Would this be a symptom of water in my fuel?

/ Bad Deisel? #2  
Usually water in the fuel would cause the engine to miss and blow white smoke. Sounds to me like you need to change your fuel filter.
Good luck
Michael

/ Bad Deisel? #3  
One of my tractors does the same thing fairly regularly. Always is the fuel filters. (It has 2 large ones). Have never had this happen on the other tractors. Fill them all out of the same tank. I never understood this. Most of the time they are all stored inside.

/ Bad Deisel? #4  
I agree with the other guys on the filters. You also may have gotten bad fuel just not necessarily water but alot of crud or old fuel. You also may have a clogged line somewhere too.

/ Bad Deisel? #5  
Also the fuel tank vent clogged up does this after running awhile. Just cracking the cap will fix it for awhile. I've seen insects clog a vent tube with a coccoon etc. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Bad Deisel? #6  
One of my tractors does the same thing fairly regularly. Always is the fuel filters. (It has 2 large ones). Have never had this happen on the other tractors. Fill them all out of the same tank. I never understood this. Most of the time they are all stored inside.

If they have different fuel filters, they could be different micron rated. That would explain why only one tractor would clog vs another.

/ Bad Deisel?
Thanks for all the input. Not the vent, ran it with the cap off. Going to splurge and buy that $4.00 filter monday.

/ Bad Deisel?
Thanks to all, paid out that $4.50 for the filter this weekend and now she runs like a charm. Filter was full of rust and water.

Next thing ya'll will tell me is that I need to change my oil on occasion!

/ Bad Deisel? #9  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Next thing ya'll will tell me is that I need to change my oil on occasion! )</font>

You need to change my oil on occasion.

Mark

Sorry - couldn't resist..... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

/ Bad Deisel? #10  
Markie-You are too quick on the draw, I wanted to remind him to change the oil once and a while,Good One- !!!!!!