bush hog pto shaft ?

/ bush hog pto shaft ? #1  

mcmedic828

Tractor
MF255
The pto shaft on my bush hog 306 is worn out and I am seeking somewhere to buy a new one that doesn't cost an arm and leg. I have found one at northern tool that will work but this leads me to the following question. The shaft I have now has the smooth bore on the equipment end secured by a sheer bolt. The shaft I found has the 1 3/8" splined quick connects on both ends without the option of getting it with the sheer bolt connection. Since the shaft is connecting to a slip clutch which is also connected to the gearbox via sheer bolt would the quick connect also be ok on the equipment end. If anyone knows of somewhere else to look for a shaft please let me know. Thanks, Greg.

/ bush hog pto shaft ? #2  
Can you replace the crosses on the PTO shaft you have now. This is cheapest way to go. Dealer, power transfer shops,TSC, Rural King should all be able to help.

/ bush hog pto shaft ?
Unfortunately it's not the crosses that are bad. The square bar on the equipment end is worn and the yoke on the sleeve end has broken. Also the sleeve the square bar slides in is totally rounded out giving the shaft an elliptical rotation rather than a circle. I would have to replace to many pieces of this shaft to make it operational in an acceptable manner. I have found a replacement shaft that will work but it has the quick connects on both ends and was just wanting to see if this was acceptable on this type of equipment without posing any danger to equipment and more importantly me.

/ bush hog pto shaft ? #4  
What length do you need? Northern Tool has a number of them with, and without the quick coupler. You're going to need one without the splined quick coupler on the equipment end. TSC also carries them at reasonable prices.

/ bush hog pto shaft ? #5  
I'm sure you have already purchased your new PTO shaft since this post was several months ago?ut in case you haven't here is the best place to get one for an awesome price.

Lawn Mower Blades | Harrow Parts | Finishing Mower Parts | Rotary Cutter Parts GA Equipment

I purchased an old Bush Hog 306 rotary cutter but it didn't have a complete shaft on it. I checked all around at Northern Tool and Tractor Supply as well but they couldn't touch 199.00 for the heavy duty shaft with slip clutch. I live only an hour from there so I just drove over and picked it up but they ship 99% of their product. The guy told me it's nice to see a customer face to face since he does mostly online sales.

What length do you need? Northern Tool has a number of them with, and without the quick coupler. You're going to need one without the splined quick coupler on the equipment end. TSC also carries them at reasonable prices.

/ bush hog pto shaft ?
I had talked to the people there about one of their shafts on ebay and they were very helpful. I ended up ordering one from Bailey International online and was cheaper and was exactly what I needed. I ended up getting the one with quick couplers on both ends and ground a groove in the input shaft of the mower so it would lock on. Works great. Thanks for the info though.