Ford industrial CAV pump problem

/ Ford industrial CAV pump problem #1  

VTPSD

Bronze Member
Tractor
ford 420 industrial with custom turbo setup, diesel converted wheel horse
I have a ford industrial tractor (i think model 420). Was running perfectly but the ignition switch was not working very well so i swapped it out. At the same time I got the oil pressure light working and to test the light I cranked the tractor for a few seconds with the fuel cutoff pulled out to see if my oil pressure light would go out. It did. Went to start the tractor and it started for about 5 seconds, and stalled. Would not restart. I bled fuel at filter and at the bleeder on the pump. Plenty of fuel getting to the pump but only trickles out of the bleeder even when cranking. I applied about 10 psi of compressed air upstream of the filter and it started right off and ran perfect until the compressed air was removed. Then it was the same situation. Did I damage something in the pump by cranking the engine with the fuel shutoff pulled? I am stumped.
The good news is I got my cluster mostly working, the bad news is now my tractor will not run.

To summarize
-I have perfect fuel flow to filters and to the pump itself
-only have gravity flow of fuel from the pump bleeder screw, even when cranking. No air, but not added fuel pressure when cranking
-it almost acts like the transfer pump is not turning at all, is it possible the end of the pump shaft sheared somehow? I have yet to see if the filter on the transfer pump inlet is blocked. I would assume it is clear since I can pull the bleeder screw out and get a decent flow of fuel from gravity pressure alone.

/ Ford industrial CAV pump problem
i got adventurous and removed the rear cover off the pump. found this, broken rotor and vanes on the transfer pump. The darn rotor cost $88 alone plus $15 for shipping and another $20 for the vanes.
DSCN0986_zps80365ddb.jpg