Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #1  

Southron Jr

Tractor
Belarus 250AS
I just joined because I am looking for someone with some experience putting a turbocharger on a diesel tractor. I have a Belarus 250AS (inherited, not bought) that is lacking in the power department. I am looking for some guidance on how to turn up the IP to be able to add a turbo. Also looking for anyone who has ever added a turbo to this model tractor, I am concerned that if I do this that the transmission might not be able to handle the power. If anyone has done this mod, where did they tap into the oil lines for the turbo and what type of turbo did they use. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #2  
Trade up for the tractor required for the task at hand. Cost will be less in long run and reliability will be better.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #3  
That tractor should have pretty good power for its size. I'm curious what you are doing with it. Mine will run a 72" rough cut mower pretty well.

I typically follow posts about this model and I've never heard of anyone adding a turbo.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #4  
Don't go too ceazy with a turbo, or you may need a new bottom end.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #5  
It was somewhat common to add a turbo back in the day. One of my 4020's has one and it certainly helps the power. That being said your brand of tractor is not known for its reliability or parts availability. In your case I would recomend trading up to a tractor more suited to your uses.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #6  
Welcome to TractorByNet.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor
The tractor is way overbuilt for the power it has. It only has 28 hp @ the pto and I read that this engine was originally designed to rate around 40 hp. I use it for mowing with a 72 in bush hog and going up hill while mowing, which I do a lot on my property, it will lug big time. I would only like to give it a little more grunt to not lug so bad. I am thinking about running only about 5 to 8 psi. Just enough to boost my power up to around 32 hp. I don't need a whole bunch but I would like to be able to mow without having to run it at full throttle. Besides where is the fun in leaving it the way it is.

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #8  
I don't need a whole bunch but I would like to be able to mow without having to run it at full throttle

But it's probably made to run the PTO and mower at full throttle

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #9  
Looks like a 310 had the same engine with 25% more HP. Look into changing the ancillary systems

/ Adding a turbo to a N/A tractor #10  
turbos boost pressure and also raise cylinder temps... mild boost is OK ... lots of boost will melt pistons, blow head gaskets and other nasty stuff..

the pump doesn't have to be turned up with a turbo ( but it helps ) ... the extra power comes from the engine breathing better ( air is rammed into the cylinder instead of being sucked in )

do you have CC displacement for the engine ?