TE 20 Ferguson distributor replacement

/ TE 20 Ferguson distributor replacement #1  

Ron3

Tractor
Ferguson TE20 1949
I am about to install a rebuilt distributor. I am wanting to find out if both valves are closed on the #1 piston before I install the distributor. Any suggestions? Oh, I do not have a compression gauge.

/ TE 20 Ferguson distributor replacement #2  
Sounds like you are trying to time the distributor. pull the spark plugs out to make life easy on the starter. there should be a hole in the block below the starter that thas a notch in it. Since this is a four stroke engine, the crank shaft goes aroun twice to complete a cycle meaning the timing marks come around twice. You want to time on the compression stroke. Have someone tap the starter while you hold your thumb over the spark plug hole. When you feel pressure against your thumb, you are on the compression stroke. Now rotate the then engine by hand using a wrench on the crankshaft nut til you line up the timing mark in the notch. Install the distributor so that the rotor is pointing at about 10:00 o'clock and make sure the distributor cap high tension wire for #1 cylinder is also at 10:00 o'clock.Have the distributor hold down bolt tightened so there is some resistance but you can still rotate the distributor back and forth. Place a paper clip or a bent wire in the spark plug boot and hold or clip that to a good ground. With the ignition switch "ON" rotate the distributor back and forth until you hear the spark snap. At that point you are statically timed. You may have to do it a couple of times to make sure you have it right. When you think you do, tighten down the hold down bolt being careful not to move the distributor. Put the plugs back in and make sure the firing order is 1-3-4-2. Fire the engine up and check with a timing light. Also check to make sure the advance is working by reving the engine and observing the timing advance.