Oil extractor

/ Oil extractor #1  

Will

Gold Member
Tractor
B2410HSD
I've been using a hand pumped oil-extractor lately, and I've been very pleased with it. It makes removing hot oil from cars, lawnmowers, and tractors really easy. I found the best price at Tool Paradise where it costs about $40.

I suppose there is a possibility that it leaves a few ounces of oil that could have been removed by removing the oil plug, but I read on another forum that on some cars it removes more oil than removing the oil plug. At any rate, it is a well-made gadget, and I won't miss getting coated with hot oil everytime I change the oil.

Will

/ Oil extractor #2  
What?... and take all the fun out of changing the oil /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I'll never forget the time I reached up an felt the filter and thought hmmmm..... that's not too hot. When the filter came loose and some of the oil ran down my arm, let's just say that was the quickest I ever came out from under the truck. I grabbed the garden hose and there was water and oil flying everywhere /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I am curious though, how long does it take under actual working conditions to drain the oil? My wifes car is a pain because I can't fit under the car without putting it on stands. She takes it to the local jiffy lube because I hate the extra work to put it on stands, but I wouldn't mind getting back to changing it myself. Thanks

/ Oil extractor
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I am curious though, how long does it take under actual working conditions to drain the oil? My wifes car is a pain because I can't fit under the car without putting it on stands. She takes it to the local jiffy lube because I hate the extra work to put it on stands, but I wouldn't mind getting back to changing it myself. Thanks )</font>

It takes just a minute or two to pump the oil out. You just remove the dipstick and put the flexible tube in. Being able to do it quickly is great, and not having oil all over the place is kind of unbelievable. I still have to crawl under the car to get the oil filter, but at least on my mini-van, I can reach the filter without jacking up the car.

Maybe I've got poor technique, but my lawnmower used to be a real pain. The oil plug lets the oil out right on the mowing deck, I never figured out how to get the oil out without half of it oozing all over the mower.

/ Oil extractor #4  
My wife had a car like that, had to take off a shield also. I've been really careful not to repeat that mistake. I wish every thing I had still had the filter on upright though, I had the ones mounted sideways, or worse yet upside down.

/ Oil extractor #5  
I have a 94 lincoln mk8, and it has a trough shaped suspension member running right smack under the oil drain plug.. invariable, you get oil in the trough, which drips through a water/weep hole onto the concrete for days.

When I remember, I stuff an old towell in there or lay a piece of newspaper across it.

Soundguy

/ Oil extractor #6  
I would be afraid of leaving sludge and stuff in the pan when using the pump out method. Soem are a pain-to-drain, but that is the way I do it.