JD 317 starter

/ JD 317 starter #1  

sixmenn

Tractor
John Deere 317 with Kohler Magnum 18
Hey all,

For the past few months my JD 317 with Kohler Magnum 18 has been making a squealing noise when I engage the starter. It has always eventually "caught" and turned over, but it has worsened over time, until recently it won't turn over at all. I took the side panel off and examined the starter and flywheel, and it looks like some spots on the flywheel are worn down (presumably from the starter teeth just spinning against the flywheel teeth). When I manually line up the starter teeth with any part of the flywheel and then engage the starter, it engages the flywheel and turns over fine. It just doesn't seem able to line up on its own. Do I need a new starter? If so, do I need to remove the engine to get it out? Any suggestions where to get aftermarket parts?

Thanks everyone!

Colin

/ JD 317 starter #2  
welcome to tractor by net. i see your in mi you have a parts dist close you in center line mi called barsanco phone number 586-755-1491 they should have the starter in stock for engine. it sounds as if all the good life is leaving your starter it happens. your john deere number is am38013 there number should be lester 5915 it will be less than 100.00. what happens alot with these units the bushings one on each end will wear out and the armature will not run true and the results generally are what you are describing. good luck

/ JD 317 starter
Thanks a lot, Mitch. I'll call them Monday.