Crawler Final Drive Service

/ Crawler Final Drive Service #1  

nmitch1

Tractor
Ford
Hello TBN users! My first post here just a simple double check on my maintenance procedure. We recently picked up a small crawler for our vineyard and I have been trying to familiarize myself with all of the routine maintenance.

My question is the proper fill and check of the oil in the rear final drives. There are three plugs one on the top of the drive, one half way down (picture behind bracket) and the drain on the bottom. Are the drives filled with oil till it runs out of the middle plug on the back of the drive or is it filled to touch from the top plug?

Thanks
Nick

Attachments

• 2013-08-06_08-51-41_896.jpg
    2013-08-06_08-51-41_896.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 94
   / Crawler Final Drive Service #2  
What kind of crawler are we working on here?:confused3:

/ Crawler Final Drive Service #3  
The finals I have experience with are filled about half way, but you really need to find out for sure on your articular machine. Depending on the reduction ratio in the drive, the input gears can be spinning very fast and heat buildup is a concern. Unlikely proper fill would be almost completely full leaving no room for expansion.

/ Crawler Final Drive Service
The finals I have experience with are filled about half way, but you really need to find out for sure on your articular machine. Depending on the reduction ratio in the drive, the input gears can be spinning very fast and heat buildup is a concern. Unlikely proper fill would be almost completely full leaving no room for expansion.

thank you MharryE. It is a Landini crawler. I assumed that was the correct fill/check but the service manual that I have did not state fill volume or correct method to check the level.

/ Crawler Final Drive Service #5  
thank you MharryE. It is a Landini crawler. I assumed that was the correct fill/check but the service manual that I have did not state fill volume or correct method to check the level.

That's the kind of useful information found in an operator's manual.