JD 1050 PTO Question

/ JD 1050 PTO Question #1  

Ray1323

Tractor
1981 John Deere 1050
I recently bought a JD 1050 and the tractor runs great; however, there is a grinding noise when engaging the PTO and an implement is attached, but it does not grind when there isn't anything attached. There isn't any grinding when disengaging the PTO in either scenario. Anyone know why it would engage fine without an attachment and grind with an attachment?

I tried searching for similar situations before posting and didn't find anything.

Thanks for the help!

/ JD 1050 PTO Question #2  
I can answer why no grinding without the attachement: No load. It slips right in and starts turning the shaft instead of grinding. With a shaft on it, there is enough resistance that it will grind until it falls in.
I wish I had all the answers on these 1050 clutches, as I just split mine today to see what the clutch noise was. Not sure if I have found it or not.
It is important firstly to have the clutch air gap adjusted correctly. The pedal that is. If it doesn't push down far enough to disengage the pto at the bottom of the travel, then it will always turn and grind. The drive clutch could be worn, but that wouldn't be my first assumption.

/ JD 1050 PTO Question #3  
I have seen it suggested to engage the pto, push the clutch all the way in, and bury the implement in something resistive to break loose the rust on the clutch.

/ JD 1050 PTO Question
Thanks for the input. I just got the tractor so I'll need to get a repair manual to adjust the clutch air gap. Also, not sure if it matters, but it never really "falls in". It just keeps grinding so I back the RPMs way down and force it in. Doesn't seem like the healthiest option.... Or turn the tractor off, engage the PTO, and turn it back on.

/ JD 1050 PTO Question #5  
Your cheapest option for the manuals is most likely going to be hoye.com. order the service manuals for the yanmar ym 2500 and you will get the manuals for the 850-1050 since they're just yanmar tractors painted green.