'71 Ford 4000 3cyl Gas Distributor cap question

/ '71 Ford 4000 3cyl Gas Distributor cap question #1  

smaijala

Tractor
Ford 4000 Gas
Alrighty fellas,

I'll skip the boring intro to my issues today, but wondered if anyone had any ideas how exactly the distributor cap stays in place on Ol' Blue? I've found clips for the N series and the older 4000 models-are they the same?

thanks in advance....
Shawn

/ '71 Ford 4000 3cyl Gas Distributor cap question #2  
how about a lil back story?

your dizzy 's cap latches just up and disappear or?

/ '71 Ford 4000 3cyl Gas Distributor cap question
Hey Soundguy,

Only thing I can figure is that it came off when I pressure washed it last week. I did drive it afterward and all was well, but that's the only thing I can figure, although I tried not to get a direct stream anywhere close to the carb/distributor....so not sure. When I realized what the problem was, I took the dist. cap off and noticed that the notch that the clip is supposed to latch onto on the back side (closest to the engine) had accumulated dust and oil on it...there was no evidence of any clip being in place at all, that's what really got me wondering. I've had the tractor for about three years and have put a lot of hours on it. There is no evidence of any clips on the other side (away from the engine) either, but the cap itself is cleaner so I couldn't tell if it had been on there or not. I've never seen a distributor cap without those clips, but to be honest, I can't even feel where they're supposed to mount to the distributor, at least by feel. There's a loader in the way, so it's kinda hard to get to, but thinking about peeling it off to get to the root of things. I'll probably just put a heavy zip tie on there to get back to work and save this little project for the nasty weather....any other suggestions, or advice on which replacement clips to look for? The N series the right ones?

Shawn

/ '71 Ford 4000 3cyl Gas Distributor cap question
Okay, for now, I simply ziptied the cap onto the distributor, mainly to get it running enough to get the QA loader off for easy access. It spit and sputtered terrible at first, then all of a sudden, ran like a top. I pulled the bushhog around a bit to see if it was going to work and when I parked it, I noticed antifreeze pouring out from under the radiator area. Again, that darn loader makes it real difficult to see just exactly where it's coming from. Temp gauge indicated it was fine, pulled the cap off and it didn't appear to be overheating. Now, each time I start it, it spits and sputters for a minute or so before I runs out smooth again. Did I foul up my timing? Would it run out smooth if I'd got the wiring on the dist. messed up? I checked and it seems as though they're in the correct order. Would off timing affect the thermostat opening up? Maybe it's unrelated, but seems too coincidental. Never had any issues with this thing over the last 2-300 hours until now....

/ '71 Ford 4000 3cyl Gas Distributor cap question #6  
if it eventually runs smooth.. it's not a timing or wireing issue. sunds mor elike you are missing a jug for a moment.

could be a fouled plug issue.... there are other possibilities as well.. but more rare.... etc..