400X loader masts loose

/ 400X loader masts loose #1  

BeaconWoods

Tractor
JD
Ok, I have searched for this topic all afternoon under both 400 and 300 loaders. Both use the same system. The problem is that, when I raise the bucket off the ground, the masts are so loose that I fear they will pop off the mounts. I have adjusted the adjustment screws so they are very snug. I had not realized that this needed doing. I have done a LOT of loader work with this thing. I fear that operating it loose wore the cast iron masts or the mounts. My 300 CX loader (different tractor) has much less use on it. It was also getting loose. Snugging the adjustment screws took care of the problem on that one. All the posts I have seen here, and the dealer, recommend adjusting the adjustment screws. That helped, but there is still a half inch or so of slop. I have yet to take the loader off and look. I am considering welding up the wear that I suspect I will find. I know that JD sells a shim kit for the quick attach loaders that use a square mount. Anything like that for the round ones?

This is my first post here. I am still getting over the shock of all the info available. Wow.

~BeaconWoods

/ 400X loader masts loose #2  
Welcome, you should post this in the JD forum.

/ 400X loader masts loose
Ok. I could move it there. I put it here bcs I saw a similar post started in the JD forum that the moderator had moved to repair. Still learning the protocols here. Tnx for the input.

/ 400X loader masts loose #4  
Welcome to TBN,
There where some issues with the left and right mounts being swapped/reversed early on, did you happen to find any of those threads? Not sure it's even possible with the 400, but it was with the 300. Here is one:

300cx troubles...

I think that would be possible on the 400X since the mounting systems look very much the same. Yes, I saw those threads. I have not looked to see if the mounts are marked left and right. I am guessing that is not the problem since the wear developed over time. My own fault, I guess, for not keeping the adjusters tighter. At this point I don't dare pick up anything very heavy since it appears that the masts are just barely catching the mounts.

/ 400X loader masts loose #6  
I replied to that old thread meaning to reply to this more current one....

I have concerns with my recent purchase of a 300 loader. Having only put 30 hrs on the tractor since loader install doing mostly brush hogging (as in little loader work andd none heavy) I notice more rattles and loader mast movement. Will tighten and perhaps add aditional clamping means.

I would have been happy with a solid mount loader but bought what they had to sell.

Yes, I've thought about drilling a couple holes thru the masts and mounts for a some serious boltage. Hoping to find a little less drastic solution.

/ 400X loader masts loose #8  
I think you need to call your JD Dealer. If my memory serves several have posted on TBN about this problem and that JD has a shim kit for the loose loaders.

/ 400X loader masts loose #9  
double post

/ 400X loader masts loose #10  
if you guys are talking about the masts "wobbling", you will just have to live with it. It is due to the fitment and quick disconnect feature. If there was a crossbar mounted at the top, it would elimante the issue. Other than that, the loader will not "break" or pop off as long as the masts are monted on the correct side. Thousnads of 300 and 400 loaders are in the hands of thousands of people for many years. It is tried and trued. If it wasn't, it wouldn't still be in production. Just get to work and don't worry about it. Unless of course you are talking about something else, never mind my statement