Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #1  

ingridkrause

Tractor
Cub Cadet
New battery, new glow plugs, clean air filter , clean diesel....... will not start until noon or very warm outside ????

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #2  
No clue about your model, not a diesel mechanic, but first thought that comes to my head is to ask if your engine has an intake heater that may be failed?

And WELCOME to TBN! :D

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #3  
Check for voltage at the glow plugs, if you haven't already.

I don't know the details of your Cub. In general, aside from the ignition switch and wiring, glow plug relays and/or controllers can stop working, preventing power from getting to the glow plugs.

During the On Time for your glow plugs (automatic, or manually controlled by ignition switch), you should have 12v at the glow plug terminal. If no 12 volts is present when the glow plugs are activated, then obtain a schematic to trace back the problem.

Rgds, D.

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more
No clue about your model, not a diesel mechanic, but first thought that comes to my head is to ask if your engine has an intake heater that may be failed?

And WELCOME to TBN! :D

Thanks for the replies, will check it out

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more
Thanks for your answers

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #6  
I'l 2nd what 3930dave stated. It's a glowplug not operating problem.

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #7  
I have to disagree with the glow plugs being the issue. I have owned a number of diesels and never owned a completely mechanically healthy one that required glow plugs at anything less than cool to freezing temps. The "pre Yanmar" Cubs were Mitsubishi models and I have owned a number of Mitsubishi engines specifically. None were particularly hard starting, especially during relatively warm temps but did require glow plugs or pre heating for easy starting after winter temps set in. The two things that I have had starting issues with an otherwise healthy engine in warm weather were connected to old fuel (which was covered) and engine cranking speed. I know you have a new battery but is it turning the engine over quickly ehough? If the starter is getting tired or there is voltage or amp draw issue you may not be getting enough spin out of the starter to light the engine off easily.If the engine turns over too slowly, the injection pump can't generate enough fuel pressure, and the piston speed will be too low to generate a high enough air temperature to initiate combustion, causing hard starting problems. Here is a basic starter diagnosis link Starter Circuit Diagnosis. It could also be an issue of low compression....not necessarily worn rings or cylinder. Compression issues could possibly be solved with a simple valve adjustment in some cases. Just some thoughts......

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #8  
Good luck Ingrid, and pls let us know how it turns out.

If you need help finding an electrical schematic, try putting a request in the Cub Cadet Forum on here. Somebody may have one to give you, or can suggest where to get one.

Rgds, Dave.

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #9  
I'll second Kerno's post. What is the actual voltage measured at the starter WHILE cranking?
Now I have asked that question 60+ times over the years and only received one reply. And that was a voltage when not cranking. The persons did have time and money however to randomly throw $$$ parts at the machine instead.

/ Cub Cadet , diesel garden tractor ONLY starts when 80 degrees and more #10  
Have you checked out voltage to glow plugs yet? I have one diesel that will not start without glow plug heating in temps up to 75. My 2 year tractor will start cleaner and smoother with glow plug heating at all temps but will start with smoke and rough running down to freezing.