Continental Z134 - how to drop the oil pan in frame

/ Continental Z134 - how to drop the oil pan in frame #1  

SlowMo

Tractor
MH 30, MF 2200
Hi all,
First post ever, will give some background on repair.

I have a MF2200 tractor with backhoe and MF200 loader. It has a Continental Z134 engine, a HST and no PTO. I knew it needed attention when I bought it. I rebuilt the carb, put in an electronic ignition and redid the electrical. It was running fine for me and I used it pretty heavy for a summer. Then I drove it into the field, shut it down, dropped the backhoe and tried to restart it, it would not fire.

I did a compression test and it was low across the board with zero in #4. I pulled the head and the valves were super carbonated and #4 exhaust was stuck open. I had the head rebuilt and put it back together and I would still not fire. Another compression test showed about 40 psi for all four cylinders and this jumped to 80 psi wet. So I bought an engine overhaul kit from Agco and I am replacing the pistons, rings, sleeves and rob bearings in frame. In the future I will do a full restoration but I need it to run now. I am working on it in front of my Sea Can in the field as I don't have a building to put it in.

I have torn the tractor down to the block, jacked and supported the frame front mid and rear. I have removed all oil pan bolts and loosened the bolts holding the front end to the engine block. The pan is now loose from the back but will not release from the front. I have the repair manual and it does not specify anything more than drop the pan for the repair. I don't want to force the front loose in case it is attached to something more. I have read dropping the Z134 pan in frame is a bit of an ordeal but cannot find specifics on how to do it.

Can anyone tell me explicitly how to drop the pan in frame?

Any replies will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
SlowMo

/ Continental Z134 - how to drop the oil pan in frame
I guess I took my stupid pills this morning. Anyway, I went at it with ample amounts of break cleaner and there were 2 front bolts I had not seen earlier. So the pan is off.

I will take photos and post the rebuild when I am finished.

Well it has been some time and I did finish the job last fall. I figured I would finish the post with some photos in case anyone ever needed the info. I did the overhaul with my son, 10 at the time and he had fun pounding out the pistons.

Before and after

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    702.5 KB · Views: 674
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 312
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 506
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 474
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 301
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    790.9 KB · Views: 687
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    528.9 KB · Views: 526
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    747 KB · Views: 1,141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 930
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    854.6 KB · Views: 437
Then I put in a new Zenith carb, at the time I could not source all the parts needed to rebuild the Marvel original. I will rebuild it later and keep as a spare. The hydraulic control valve for the loader was seeping so I could not tune the carb. The hydraulic pump would kick in and the governor would rev the engine so the only solution was to replace the valve too. I had to go with a new aftermarket one as the original was unavailable so I had to build an adaptor plate for it and I changed all the hoses too.

Then I put in an electronic ignition and redid the wiring. I did not put lights on just now, that is a project for next year where they will be integrated into roll protection I will fab for it. It's not letting me uploaded the pics of the hydraulics and wiring but I will try again later.

/ Continental Z134 - how to drop the oil pan in frame #5  
I redid my Z129 a few years back. What made it most interesting was removing the Wagner FEL and frame and splitting the engine from the tranny. :) I had to pull the crankshaft and get it turned.

You'll get lots of years worth of service out of that engine.