Setting beads on tubless tires

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #21  
I thought everybody used starting fluid. I've used it for yrs.I guess I'm lucky.I'm still here

But if nobody used ether there would not be all the interesting YouTube clips. Ones linked from here show everything going okay or well, but it is enjoyable watching the clips where they use a bit too much and blow a fender off a pickup, stuff like that.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #22  
We used starting fluid to seat beads on the farm all the time. Some brands of starting fluid burn to slowly and don't work. We usually tied a rag to the end of a rod/pole or broom handle and had the rag burning. Then spray the starting fluid all around the bead. Stand back with the fire on the long pole and light it. Have the air chuck ready to go right away. Usually takes about 3 times to get the amount right!
Don't try at home!

Sent from my iPhone using TractorByNet

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #23  
I've done it for years too. A quick shot is all
It takes. Less is more in this situation. Also have seen a friend use gas to do it. Obviously don't recommend this but, when stranded way out and desperate it works.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #24  
I took a piece of 3/4" copper water pipe, flattened one end and soldered a fitting on the other end. Put a ball valve on it and hook it to a big air hose. Worked good on everythng so far. Lot lighter and cheaper than the portable tank if you are close to an air compressor.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #25  
After a few hours of cursing the thing out, I picked up the rim and tire, with the valve core removed, the compressor running & the air hose attached to the valve, and threw it square on the concrete floor. That seated it.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #26  
$5 at the local shop... $10 if they break the bead, insert tube, reseat bead..

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #27  
Took a semi-rim and tire to a local truck shop for a broken valve stem. They worked on it for a hour and couldn't seat the tire. Mechanical tire machine, ratchet straps, cheetah tank type bead seater, filled the bead area with a thick seating paste and nothing worked. I asked him about ether and he said they weren't allowed. 30 minutes after closing time, I told him to throw the rim in the back of my pickup. Went back to the farm and hit it with ether. Always take me 3 or 4 attempts as I work up to the correct amount, but that tire seated and it was the only way it was going to seat. I don't like doing it, but sometimes you do what works.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #28  
I like the ether method. In fact, in the back of my mind, I always hope that the tire doesn't seat...so I get to use ether. I did have 1 "incident" in 30 years...One night it was probably -20 deg, and I was in an unheated pole building trying to get a tire on my jeep CJ to seat. I think the very cold temps were keeping the ether from igniting, so I kept squirting it in, and I was drinking. When it finally went, it took off most of my bangs and eye lashes and eye brows. Nothing serious....except it was 2 days before my engagement pictures. My wife was not happy.
Now 20 years later, it makes for a good story.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #29  
Ether works good, the cheap stuff just burns, get the good stuff from your favorate tractor dealer.if the tire is off the vehical lay it on a hard surface, not on gravel. The flying rocks hurt!

Dave

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #30  
Starter fluid works....lighter fluid doesn't.
Don't ask me how I know.