Setting beads on tubless tires

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #1  

Budweiser John

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45D
Having lost an entire weekend recently because of not being able to set the bead on a front tubeless tractor tire begs me to me to check out the validity of a tip I once herd from an old excavator guy from upper Michigan.

Ol Axelrod said, just put the tire on the rim and squirt a little starting fluid in the tire and touch it off with a match. Problem solved. Well, guys, fact or fiction? Must say, that concept makes my back side pucker a bit...........

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #2  
If you get just the right amount of starter fluid in, it works well. If you get too much in, the tire can make itself into many small pieces. If you dont get enough in, it doesn't do much (speaking from experience on the 1st and 3rd).
Did you try a ratchet strap around the outside of the tire?

Aaron Z

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #3  
Fact.... but really dangerous. Too much & you have a bomb. A ratchet strap is a lot safer & works just as good only a little slower.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #4  

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #5  
Rachet strap usually will do it, sometimes I take the valve core out and use air chuck that has lever valve on it (not dependent on valve stem to operate). This flows much more air from compressor and will usually overcome a stubborn tire.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #6  
Always helps to lube the bead with some water with a bit of soap. Lets the bead slip onto rim much easier. Removing valve stem work well as it allows much more air to flow.

Good luck

Rick

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #7  
I've found if you do all the above except the ratchet strap or starting fluid and use a mall or large hammer and pound on the outside diameter of the tire as you apply air that the pressure created from pounding will help. I've used ratchet straps and found the pounding to be more effective in some cases.

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #8  
I bought a bead cheata. It's a air tank with a large valve and a nozzle to direct the air flow and it really works. bjr

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #9  
I've used three methods. Ether: fastest and by far the most dangerous. Ratchet strap: one of the safest and most aggravating. Rubber donut: that is made specifically for tubeless tires. It's slightly smaller than the bead size and roughly 1 1/2" in diameter, you lube it up and it fills in the space between the bead and wheel rim. As you inflate the tire the donut is forced out till it pops out of the space. Of all I prefer the donut...Mike

/ Setting beads on tubless tires #10  
If the ratchet strap does not do it, you can use bicycle tubes. Buy a small assortment of tubes in about the size you need and put one [ fill tube with air first ] that fits inbetween the rim and tire on one side to fill the void. Usually gives you enough seal that you can get the tire to seat. Too small a tube, and it will get in the way of the tire bead on it's way to the rim. Too big, and it won't seal properly. Anywhilst, I've done it this way before... :)