Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC45D

Default Setting beads on tubless tires

Having lost an entire weekend recently because of not being able to set the bead on a front tubeless tractor tire begs me to me to check out the validity of a tip I once herd from an old excavator guy from upper Michigan.

Ol Axelrod said, just put the tire on the rim and squirt a little starting fluid in the tire and touch it off with a match. Problem solved. Well, guys, fact or fiction? Must say, that concept makes my back side pucker a bit...........

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

Default Re: Setting beads on tubless tires

If you get just the right amount of starter fluid in, it works well. If you get too much in, the tire can make itself into many small pieces. If you dont get enough in, it doesn't do much (speaking from experience on the 1st and 3rd).
    Did you try a ratchet strap around the outside of the tire?

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota M6800 w/1600 hrs., Case Farmall 95 w/800 hrs., Long 2510 w/1100 hrs, Cat 236B2 Skidsteer w/1000 hrs

Fact.... but really dangerous. Too much & you have a bomb. A ratchet strap is a lot safer & works just as good only a little slower.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Ford 3400, Gizmow ZTR, Simplicity 7116H

Veteran Member

Rachet strap usually will do it, sometimes I take the valve core out and use air chuck that has lever valve on it (not dependent on valve stem to operate). This flows much more air from compressor and will usually overcome a stubborn tire.
    2007 Kubota L3130, LA723 FEL
    Land Pride FDR1672 rear finish mower, Frontier RB1172, Koyker KB60 BH
    Pallet forks, Golf cart canopy bolted to ROPS, 9" & 12" PHD

Tractor
    NH TL-100A with Bush Hog 5045 FEL, WR Long 3rd function, Kubota B-2710 with 72" MMM and LA 402 FEL

Always helps to lube the bead with some water with a bit of soap. Lets the bead slip onto rim much easier. Removing valve stem work well as it allows much more air to flow.

Good luck

Rick
    Rick

Trying to work smarter instead of harder with Technology and Horsepower!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    JD4120

I've found if you do all the above except the ratchet strap or starting fluid and use a mall or large hammer and pound on the outside diameter of the tire as you apply air that the pressure created from pounding will help. I've used ratchet straps and found the pounding to be more effective in some cases.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Jinma JM354

I bought a bead cheata. It's a air tank with a large valve and a nozzle to direct the air flow and it really works. bjr

Gold Member

I've used three methods. Ether: fastest and by far the most dangerous. Ratchet strap: one of the safest and most aggravating. Rubber donut: that is made specifically for tubeless tires. It's slightly smaller than the bead size and roughly 1 1/2" in diameter, you lube it up and it fills in the space between the bead and wheel rim. As you inflate the tire the donut is forced out till it pops out of the space. Of all I prefer the donut...Mike

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

If the ratchet strap does not do it, you can use bicycle tubes. Buy a small assortment of tubes in about the size you need and put one [ fill tube with air first ] that fits inbetween the rim and tire on one side to fill the void. Usually gives you enough seal that you can get the tire to seat. Too small a tube, and it will get in the way of the tire bead on it's way to the rim. Too big, and it won't seal properly. Anywhilst, I've done it this way before...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast