Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

Default Re: externally regulated alternator question

the way i fixed that 30 years ago was to replace that with a delco alternator with internal regulator. just go get a alternator for a 76 chevy.i have done a bunch of them.if your wiring is real bad ,get one with a self igniter .it is a much cheaper fix.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

those self ignitiing ones. any fire hazard ?
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    ford 420 industrial with custom turbo setup, diesel converted wheel horse

really my wiring is pretty good, someone had replaced the ignition switch and gotten the wiring all confused at the switch. I think the harness is in good shape. I replaced the switch with a new NAPA switch and wired it based on some testing and trial and error. It seemed to be correct, but maybe I missed something that is now effecting my charging. If i had a diagram, i am sure i could get the switch side correct and maybe this would get the charging situation sorted out.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

i think that my issue could be that all the leads in the harness that need power are all on the same pole of the universal switch. Could this be my issue? I could maybe use a relay to switch straight battery power to the red terminal on my regulator.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

Quote Originally Posted by VTPSD View Post
    i think that my issue could be that all the leads in the harness that need power are all on the same pole of the universal switch. Could this be my issue? I could maybe use a relay to switch straight battery power to the red terminal on my regulator.
    Why not use the original ignition switch and wire it 'correctly' or just go to a viable internally regulated alternator? 14.25 volts is close to max output one wants from any alternator. Anything higher, 15-17 volts will eventually destroy or blow up the battery from serious overcharging.
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote machine View Post
    Why not use the original ignition switch and wire it 'correctly' or just go to a viable internally regulated alternator? 14.25 volts is close to max output one wants from any alternator. Anything higher, 15-17 volts will eventually destroy or blow up the battery from serious overcharging.
    well the original switch is no longer. The switch that came on the tractor was from some other tractor (looks like a deere) but has bad connection between battery and ignition so i dont want to use it. Had I been wiser, i would have ordered the correct part when i first realized my switch was goofy.

Tractor
    '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 boxblade, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy.

So why not order it now?
    2010 DK-40se/hst, Kioti KL-401 FEL, (with reversible Kioti cutting edge), 72" Ratchet Rake. Fit Rite Top-N-Tilt hydraulics & diverter valve. HLA Series 2000 7' snowplow, Aquiline MPC rear chains.

Scag Wildcat: Kawasaki 26HP, with bagger system. Dr. brush mower, & 42" lawn deck, Dr. self propelled, 6.5HP Trimmer mower. Pro-Mow 3 gang mower, no HP.

Bunch of STIHL chainsaws: 011x 2, MS192T, MS200T, MS180C, MS230, MS270 (Wood Boss), 038 Farmboss, '86 anniversary edition.

Bronze Member
    Tractor

So why not order it now?
    its just money
    i think i will, but i think i will do a little more experimenting with the wiring at the switch and see if the factory switch would solve it before i waste some more money. Even with the right switch i will still be left to guess which wires belong to what terminals.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

14.4 - 14.7 are the normal charge rates you see. occasionally you find the odd 15.1v module.. but 14.4 is the most common.
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

Bronze Member
    Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    14.4 - 14.7 are the normal charge rates you see. occasionally you find the odd 15.1v module.. but 14.4 is the most common.
    This is what I was thinking.

when i had it charging I thought that 14 volts that i was getting was pretty decent. I am used to seeing 14+ on cars and trucks. Certainly didn't consider it overcharging. When I full feilded it i got about 16 volts.
    Maybe I am being stubborn, but it seems like i am darn close to making it work with what I have right in front of me. If this was a restoration project, i would have all original parts, but i just need this old girl to work and be reliable. I am capable of wiring things in a safe manner, built several complete automotive harnesses from scratch on other projects.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast