Tractor wont start, just clicks

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #1  

tractorwookie

Tractor
Branson 6530c, Branson 4220
Went to start up my tractor and it wouldn't fully crank, just made a clicking sound. battery has good voltage

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #2  
Check your Ground

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #3  
Battery cables kaput.

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #4  
if you have a vom or bat tester.. put it across the bat as you try to start and see if it dips. if it does.. bat is weak.. if not. check all cables and connections.. including solenoid trigger.

PS.. static bat voltage check is meaningless.

a battery with a shallow charge can show 12v to a VOM, and not have enough juice to turna headlamp on.... so you must perfrom loaded checks.

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #5  
Went to start up my tractor and it wouldn't fully crank, just made a clicking sound. battery has good voltage

Charge it up. Let it sit a day or two completely disconnected. Take it to an auto parts and let them do a load test. If it checks ok, then you have a bad connection in your starting circuit.

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #6  
I've seen starter failures where the motor seizes and the bendix still engages causing nothing more than a clicking noise. If you can identify where on the tractor the clicking is coming from that may also help ID a source problem. A seized starter will create tremendous amounts of load on the battery, if you can get the voltage of the battery when someone attempts a start, while they're in the start/crank position the voltage will drop significantly.

In inspecting your wiring, wirebrush all your main leads and battery terminals. I've also seen them snug enough to seem fine, but after a while a fine layer of oxidation/corrosion occurs preventing good contact. I've seen it where they appeared clean, but running a wirebrush over them shined them up and all was well. As a "down and dirty" method, you can also just loosen stuff up enough it will snugly rotate, and give the cables a twist back and forth a couple times and tighten it back down.

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #7  
Another side of the road quick fix to eliminate cables as the problem. Take a set of jumper cables and go directly from the battery to the starter.

But listen to soundguy. Battery needs a load test to know anything. Always start simple. Charge battery. Make sure all connections are tight/clean. Good luck!

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #8  
anything from the OP?

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #9  
Take out the battery and hook it to your car, after disconnecting the car's battery. If it doesn't start then the battery's bad or maybe a/some cells went dry. Can try charging slow at 10amps for maybe 4 hours or 2 amps overnight. Then give her a try. May hold the charge - if not time for a new battery. Assuming the cables and connections are good and clean and tight.

/ Tractor wont start, just clicks #10  
My Massey Ferguson does the same thing intermittently. Usually I just keep trying until it engages.

I think mine is a solenoid problem ... I just haven't taken the time to fix it yet.