Majik Paint from TSC

/ Majik Paint from TSC #1  

paulharvey

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L285
I am considering using TSC Majic gloss black "truck, tractor and impliment" paint on a pick up. Yes, I know I'm cheaping out, yes I probably should drop $500 for a quality paint system, but I can't so I'm looking for some information on the paint I actually plan on using. I found the paint, $24.99/gallon, hardener ($15) and a Majic.reducer, but I'm wondering if.the reducer is simply pre measured mineral spirits? Is Majic reducer all you can use? I have a nearly full gallon of "Crown" mineral spirits that worked just fine with the gray Majic primer, and I would rather use that unless it will cause real problems.
I plan on doing 2 or 3 shots of color, but do I only use hardener for the final shot or each coat. How does this affect wet sanding? Majic doesn't really seem to say much on can or website. The hardener is high price for the amount, is there a cheaper catalyst that is compatable.

Edit. I downloaded the spec sheet, and it says "solvent=mineral spirits" but later says use only Majic reducer.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #2  
Why are you even concerned? Do you plan on suing them?
Do a sample and test it out.
Then let us know with pics please.

The worst is that you may have to redo it.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #3  
This doesn't seem to good.

/ Majik Paint from TSC
newbury said:
Why are you even concerned? Do you plan on suing them?
Do a sample and test it out.
Then let us know with pics please.

The worst is that you may have to redo it.

Well, I'm cheap But I'm not trying to sue anyone. I just don't want to spend more the needed. You probably are right, I can use mineral spirits with one panel and see what happens, but I was looking for anyone with personal experience using these products. I assume they spec there brand to drum up additional sales, but there is always the off chance their reducer is special in some regards.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #5  
Well if you want cheap use spray paint

/ Majik Paint from TSC
murphy1244 said:
Well if you want cheap use spray paint

By the time I buy half a dozen spray cans I would have as much money in it, with out the added bonus of being able to get a good multi layer build up. I did think about it. I shot all the primer with a $10 HF gun, and an ancient compressor (60 year old uncle in law got it used, and old when he was a teenager).

I sanded with 220 grit the off color doors, and bondo, before priming with two good coats. I lightly sanded the primer with 320. Should i sand/prime/sand the good panels as well, or just scuff and hit with two coats of color?

I haven't decided on clear coat. If I can get by without it, I will. I read that the catalyst increases gloss.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #7  
When I have sprayed enamel I mixed the catalyst in the whole batch. Note that you need to get the correct respirator filter for spraying paint with a catalyst. If it was me I would prime the whole project and spray the whole project with catalyzed paint. No clear coat.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #8  
PlatiDip it.

https://www.dipyourcar.com/

Painting a vehicle is a lot of work. Why cheap out on the paint. If you spend a extra hundred on two now it will be worth it. If you want to go cheap go with some Nason (Duponts cheap line) or Limco ( BASF's cheap line). You may be able to go to a paint shop and get some paint they mixed wrong at a reduced price.

Black shows all the imperfections.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #9  
I have used TSC Majic paints a few times and reduce with acetone then clean up with mineral spirits. Good results IMHO. I am not too keen on the hardner.

/ Majik Paint from TSC #10  
you get what you pay for, I wouldn't do it. If you want "cheap" but still ok, try Kirker. And use the hardener, wait till you have to reshoot a spot later without it, you'll be sorry.