CASE 222 Hydro porblem

/ CASE 222 Hydro porblem #1  

Duane S

Tractor
new holland T1520
Earlier this week, my case 222 developed a leak in the hydraulic line going to the oil cooler. I replaced the rubber hose that developed the leak and topped of the reservoir. Now it will not run smoothly. Bucks and jumps. Does this in both forward and reverse. Also, the speed has disapeared compared to what it was doing.

My guess is air trapped in the line, but how do I get the air out?

Thanks for the help.

Duane

/ CASE 222 Hydro porblem #2  
Try putting the range selector in neutral then the travel control lever in full forward for a few minutes followed by reverse for a while. That should purge the air. Check oil level before putting it to work.

/ CASE 222 Hydro porblem
Thanks, Tried it with no results. I may not be doing it correctly so let me ask some more specific questions in regards to the purging. Put the hi-low range selector on the nuetral peg. Next, do I do this while running or cold? Next, you said to put it in forward for a few minutes followed by reverse. By a few minutes do you mean 5 minutes then reverse for the same amount of time.

I tried it in neutral, running and not running, I did not just shove it to one side and let it sit, but worked it back and forth. Forward for maybe 30 secs, then reverese for the same and repeat.

Thanks for the help and any additional tips.

Duane

/ CASE 222 Hydro porblem #4  
Earlier this week, my case 222 developed a leak in the hydraulic line going to the oil cooler. I replaced the rubber hose that developed the leak and topped of the reservoir. Now it will not run smoothly. Bucks and jumps. Does this in both forward and reverse. Also, the speed has disapeared compared to what it was doing.

My guess is air trapped in the line, but how do I get the air out?

Thanks for the help.

Duane
What kind of hydraulic fluid did you top it off with?

/ CASE 222 Hydro porblem
Just standard hydrualic fluid. It did not take much to top off. Maybe half gallon. I should mention, that the surging started when using it, and was how I saw the leak. I drove it to the shelter bucking and kicking. It was a two days later that I got around to replacing the hose. Upon starting and using, the surging was still present.

Back to today, I did put it in neutral and the travel level in forward. Let it sit overnight, about 20 hours. Just tried it again and it still surges. It does fine at a low speed, but once you try to get it to a normal cutting speed, the surging starts.

I wold say that it lost most if not all the oil that was in the cooling radiator.

does it take a special fluid?

/ CASE 222 Hydro porblem #6  
From everything I've read, that tractor uses 15-40W motor oil in the hydraulic system. If you used universal hydraulic fluid, that is probably the problem.

/ CASE 222 Hydro porblem #7  
Just standard hydrualic fluid. It did not take much to top off. Maybe half gallon. I should mention, that the surging started when using it, and was how I saw the leak. I drove it to the shelter bucking and kicking. It was a two days later that I got around to replacing the hose. Upon starting and using, the surging was still present.

Back to today, I did put it in neutral and the travel level in forward. Let it sit overnight, about 20 hours. Just tried it again and it still surges. It does fine at a low speed, but once you try to get it to a normal cutting speed, the surging starts.

I wold say that it lost most if not all the oil that was in the cooling radiator.

does it take a special fluid?

From everything I've read, that tractor uses 15-40W motor oil in the hydraulic system. If you used universal hydraulic fluid, that is probably the problem.
Darryl is right, and if you are in the deep South, a 50W motor oil will work.

There should be a label on the hydraulic reservoir that says motor oil and tells what the full level is. On the 400 series, it was 5 inches below the top of the filler neck.

Check the Case forum on TBN, here: Case / Ingersoll