Tractor
    Cub Cadet LX450TL

Default Re: Installation of Winter heater for coolant

I have a new Cub Cadet TL450LX with a 4-cyl. Yanmar engine. I love it! I would like to mount a circulating coolant heater on it but I am not sure if I will be able to purchase metric-threaded hose fittings to mount on the engine block and thermostat housing. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I am hesitant to mount a heater in the 1" lower radiator hose as the closed thermostat will likely severely restrict the circulation of the coolant. Or have any of you out there found a rad hose heater more than adequate??? I would welcome any suggestions.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet LX450TL

Sorry, that was a LX450TL and Gold Member Katahdin promptly responded and has provided much help.

Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2400

Quote Originally Posted by dmedalen View Post
    Sorry, that was a LX450TL and Gold Member Katahdin promptly responded and has provided much help.
    Too bad "Gold Member Katahdin " didn't reply in the thread. There are quite possibly a lot of other TBN members that could have made good use of the information.
    Don

MF GC2400, FEL, 60in.MMM, 5ft. Cultivator, Single Bottom Plow, Bush Hog RTC48 tiller, MF 2360 front mount snowblower, 5ft backblade. BXpanded Piranha toothbar.

Tractor
    Cub Cadet LX450TL

Don87, I will post Katahdin helpful info on the block heater just in case it will prove useful to others. . . . -- Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Katahdin Join Date: Dec 2010 Location:Scarborough, METractor:Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420

Default Re:[B] Installation of Winter heater for coolant: I think you mean LX 450? If so you probably have the Yanmar 4tnv88 engine, same as mine.

Here is the screw-in block heater for the 4tnv88: ZeroStart - 310-0003 - Freeze Plug Engine Heater , 400W 120V

Its not metric and it works very well. I plug mine in about an hour before starting it in the winter. You'll want to heat the plug with a propane torch before attempting to unthread it. After heating the plug I used a 1/2 inch impact gun with light taps on the trigger until I saw the plug start to turn, then backed it out from there with a breaker bar. If you're quick you can swap out the plug with the block heater and not loose more than 6-8 ounces of coolant. If you attempt this, don't forget to put teflon tape on the threads of the block heater before installing it. Good luck!

More info here: TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum