Re: Installation of Winter heater for coolant

/ Re: Installation of Winter heater for coolant #1  

dmedalen

Tractor
Cub Cadet LX450TL

I have a new Cub Cadet TL450LX with a 4-cyl. Yanmar engine. I love it! I would like to mount a circulating coolant heater on it but I am not sure if I will be able to purchase metric-threaded hose fittings to mount on the engine block and thermostat housing. Does anyone have any suggestions??? I am hesitant to mount a heater in the 1" lower radiator hose as the closed thermostat will likely severely restrict the circulation of the coolant. Or have any of you out there found a rad hose heater more than adequate??? I would welcome any suggestions.

/ Re: Installation of Winter heater for coolant

Sorry, that was a LX450TL and Gold Member Katahdin promptly responded and has provided much help.

/ Re: Installation of Winter heater for coolant #3  

Sorry, that was a LX450TL and Gold Member Katahdin promptly responded and has provided much help.
Too bad "Gold Member Katahdin " didn't reply in the thread. There are quite possibly a lot of other TBN members that could have made good use of the information.

/ Re: Installation of Winter heater for coolant

Don87, I will post Katahdin helpful info on the block heater just in case it will prove useful to others. . . . -- Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Katahdin Join Date: Dec 2010 Location:Scarborough, METractor:Yanmar LX4500, Toro z420

Default Re: Installation of Winter heater for coolant: I think you mean LX 450? If so you probably have the Yanmar 4tnv88 engine, same as mine.

Here is the screw-in block heater for the 4tnv88: ZeroStart - 310-0003 - Freeze Plug Engine Heater , 400W 120V

Its not metric and it works very well. I plug mine in about an hour before starting it in the winter. You'll want to heat the plug with a propane torch before attempting to unthread it. After heating the plug I used a 1/2 inch impact gun with light taps on the trigger until I saw the plug start to turn, then backed it out from there with a breaker bar. If you're quick you can swap out the plug with the block heater and not loose more than 6-8 ounces of coolant. If you attempt this, don't forget to put teflon tape on the threads of the block heater before installing it. Good luck!

More info here: TractorByNet.com - Compact Tractor Forum