JD 850 starter question 1.4Kw or 2.0 Kw type is the question.

/ JD 850 starter question 1.4Kw or 2.0 Kw type is the question. #1  

bmaverick

Elite Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM2610 ■YANMAR GURU■ EXTRAORDINAIRE
Hi all, my first posting and question.

My Deere 850 burned up the starter solenoid last night. Can't find just the solenoid to replace, everyone sells the starter as a whole.

NIPPONDENSO OSGR; 12-VOLT; CW; 15-TOOTH; 1.4KW; p/n 16657 Fits Yanmar/Deere 3T80, The Deere 850.

On this page, there is the typical OE listed started with p/n and the specs for the tractor.
YANMAR ALTERNATORS AND STARTERS BY OEM #

Then listed further down the page is nearly the same unit. Only differnce is the 1.4KW becomes 2.0KW.

NIPPONDENSO OSGR; 12-VOLT; CW; 15-TOOTH; 2.0KW; Fits Yanmar/Deere 3T84, The Deere 950.

The 850 and 950 use the same service manual and much of everything that bolts onto the two engines is very much interchangeable.

I would like a bit more punch and torque to start this diesel engine, espcially on the colder days.

Anyone upgrade the starter like this already? Also I'm looking at generator/altenator next. The battery is good at 900CCA.

Someone else asked this question here back in 2010 with no answer or reply.

Thanks, and I hope to frequent the forum often.

/ JD 850 starter question 1.4Kw or 2.0 Kw type is the question. #2  
As far as I can tell,it should work. There are some on Ebay that say for 850-950 if you look up John Deere part numbers.

/ JD 850 starter question 1.4Kw or 2.0 Kw type is the question.
There is also another higher KW unit that is either 2.5KW or 2.7KW. Not sure if I can take it that high.

OK, I ordered the 2.0Kw version. It should arrive this up coming week. :) Rare Electrical has a great deal with FREE shipping. So, it was less than $99.

/ JD 850 starter question 1.4Kw or 2.0 Kw type is the question. #5  
Rare Electrical is where we got our new starter for the 1983 JD 310B backhoe engine. I do not know how they get them to you for around $100. It works super and only come in one option as to power. I was concerned about the fit but it is perfect a few years later.

Agree about the prices. It's amazing to see how they are all over the map. Some want $85 + $19 shipping, so that was over $100. RE had it about $94ish. Other were just nuts being $181 to $300 or more.

/ JD 850 starter question 1.4Kw or 2.0 Kw type is the question. #7  
I guess the guys with the high prices think they may sound low if the buyer has just checked with JD source. I like a good starter.