Removing PTO shaft from Caroni?

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #11  
I can't feel a pin or button. I will spray the whole thing with PB Blaster to see if I can get something to rotate or slide. Thanks a bunch for the info. I was almost afraid I was going to have to go into the gear box itself with the way my luck goes :laughing:

Well. is it splined or smooth?

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #12  
A couple of good pictures would be worth ..uh... well a lot!

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni?
Here are pics of the cleaned up mower joint. Have a feeling it is those C shaped springs I don't have the tool to remove. There are two of them, one on each side. PTO joint.jpgPTO clip.jpg

Attachments

• PTO clip.jpg
    PTO clip.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 85
   / Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #14  
No.. it is not the "C" shaped clips on the ends of the yokes. Look at the end of the shaft that comes out of the mower. The rusty brown shaft.. Look at the very end for a wire type clip in a groove. pry it out, I can't quite see it. I need a better photo to be sure, but it is not the C clips, that is how you take apart the yoke, and you need a vise and sockets or a press and special pliers like you said, But this is NOT what you want to do. Also the yoke may be rusted onto the shaft. I believe your shaft is a smooth shaft, and I cant tell if there is a roll pin or what going thru the shaft. Normally it is a shear bolt, but I didn't see one.. Is there a hole in the black outer shroud to line up to put a drift punch (roll pin punch) thru the hole.? The idea is to get the yoke off of the mowers shaft so you can get a complete new shaft right?

I removed the shear bolt. The hole in the black shroud lined up with the bolt I removed.

The purpose is to get this off so I can replace it with a new PTO shaft assembly. Guess I need to give it a few whacks with the trusty ol' hammer to try and break things loose.

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #16  
I removed the shear bolt. The hole in the black shroud lined up with the bolt I removed.

The purpose is to get this off so I can replace it with a new PTO shaft assembly. Guess I need to give it a few whacks with the trusty ol' hammer to try and break things loose.

Before you whack, look carefully for that wire clip on the very end of the rusty brown shaft. look for a "break" in the wire and flip it out with a screwdriver or something. I have never seen one without one.. or at least look for the groove. maybe the clip has let go or maybe there isnt one. Your there and I am not.

Will do. Thanks so much for giving me some sort of direction

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #18  
Will do. Thanks so much for giving me some sort of direction

Please report back what your results were if you are successful or even if you were not.. It helps us help others.

James K0UA

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #19  
Please don't forget that when you get your new shaft, you will likely have to "size" it for your tractor. I believe the reason your original shaft faild was do to insufficient overlap of the two halves of the shaft. But if you leave the shaft too long your PTO stub on the tractor and its seals and bearing can be damaged. As you lift and lower the shaft, the shaft extends and contracts at some point in that arc your shaft will be as fully collapsed as it is going to be. You still want some room in the "telescoping" of the two shaft halves so as to not "hit"the stop and cause it to be jammed into your PTO stub. Conversely you don't want it to be too far extended. or the overlap will not be enough to be mechanically sound. it can cause the shaft materiel to "split" as there is too much torque on too small of an area. Good luck

James K0UA

Went out and removed the bolts holding the black cowling on so I could get to the back of the yoke. See no clip in the grove on the front of the rusty old shaft so I hosed everything down again with PB Blaster. Hopefully by morning it will be more cooperative. One thing is for sure, the seal at the grease fitting was shot. In fact, I expect all of them are. At least the tractor is in really good shape.

Once I get the dang thing off, I will be better able to know what to order. I sure won't be getting it from Tractor Supply. Yowza! :greedy: