Removing PTO shaft from Caroni?

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #21  
Went out and removed the bolts holding the black cowling on so I could get to the back of the yoke. See no clip in the grove on the front of the rusty old shaft so I hosed everything down again with PB Blaster. Hopefully by morning it will be more cooperative. One thing is for sure, the seal at the grease fitting was shot. In fact, I expect all of them are. At least the tractor is in really good shape.

Once I get the dang thing off, I will be better able to know what to order. I sure won't be getting it from Tractor Supply. Yowza! :greedy:

So there was a groove though right? just no wire clip in it.. right?.. and you understand the reason for the clip. It's to prevent the yoke from coming off if the shear bolt "shears".. ha ha.. like all that rust would not hold it on.:laughing: thanks for getting back with us..

James K0UA

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni?
So there was a groove though right? just no wire clip in it.. right?.. and you understand the reason for the clip. It's to prevent the yoke from coming off if the shear bolt "shears".. ha ha.. like all that rust would not hold it on.:laughing: thanks for getting back with us..

James K0UA

I have argued with those clips before on my RV and you are right, all that rust is all that is between me and victory.

It is OFF!! I still couldn't budge it, so I reassembled it and let the torque of the PTO do it for me.:thumbsup: While it was mounted I marked the shaft so I could see what the overlap was. Only 1/2"! No wonder it split.

Now to find a new longer shaft and ring clip. BTW it was smooth.

So now that the old shaft is off and I want to make sure I get the right length...

Old one only measures about 24". The distance between the tractor and the mower's PTOs is about 44". Would a 30" do the trick or should I get a longer one? Does AgriSupply have decent parts for a good price?

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #25  
You will want a minimum of 6" overlap of the tubes. You should also check distances with the mower raised and lowered.

Fantastic video. Thanks!

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #28  
So now that the old shaft is off and I want to make sure I get the right length...

Old one only measures about 24". The distance between the tractor and the mower's PTOs is about 44". Would a 30" do the trick or should I get a longer one? Does AgriSupply have decent parts for a good price?

Sometimes you can get a La Magdelana or a Eurocarden off of ebay also.. Of course it needs to be 1 3/8 splined on one end and smooth for a shear bolt on the other. I suggest you watch the video as posted for suggestions on measuring and cutting. I like the La Magdelana the best simply because I prefer the button latch instead of the ones with a collar. But get which ever one you want. If you don't understand what Ted said on the video, come back here for possible answers. Here is another outfit you can deal with on this webpage if you want.

You will have to measure your "round bore" size. for the implement end This is the outside dimension of the round smooth shaft. You tractor end will be 6 spline 1 3/8 inches. I have one, I would sell, but I am thinking it is not long enough for you.. can you watch the video, and get your measurements, and if you like I can look/measure the one I have. The reason it is surplus is because when I traded up in tractor size it was too short, It was sized for a Kubota B7500 tractor a much smaller tractor than I have now.

James K0UA

Complete Drivelines

/ Removing PTO shaft from Caroni? #29  
I checked my surplus shaft.. no, no way. If you are 44 inches shaft to shaft. It would only have 1 inch of overlap at best, and it would never work. Sorry.. Hey another idea is if you have a PTO rebuilder shop in your town, they can cut of the tubing and weld on new tubing for way less than a new shaft. I don't have one here, but some cities have shops that specialize in this kind of work, it would be worth a check in the yellow pages or on the net, and/or call machine shops and ask who rebuilds PTO shafts in the area.

James K0UA

Mine is 1 3/8 bore. After watching the video I have 25 1/2" from the pin hole to the center of the hitch pins. On the tractor it is 19" from the end of the PTO gear to the center of the hitch pins. Subtract the 2" and I need a 42.5" PTO shaft. The one I have uses the button at the tractor side. No experience with the collar type.