How does this wheel come off?

/ How does this wheel come off? #1  

NormL

Platinum Member
Tractor
Craftsman GT18, Ford 601 / FEL, Oliver 550 / FEL
I have a project well underway to create what I'll calling my "Hotrod Snowthrower"! I've installed new bearings at the ends of the auger where there used to be bushings. Those were hoplessly worn into oval shapes. I have to wonder how the previous owner could endure the obvious clatter and hammering as the machine chewed away at itself. I originally bought it for the engine so I could repower a tiller. Now, some years later I'm in need of an improvement in what I use to clear my drive and turnarounds of huge amounts of drifted white stuff. At this point, I need to fix the tires. The problem, as the thread title states, is getting the wheel(s) off.

The first photo shows the wheel I'm trying to remove. The second one shows how far I got before the trouble started. To me, it looks like it should slip off if it were not rusted on. That spring loaded business in the first photo has me thinking it is for "free-wheeling" while doing turns. Is that what its for? In any event, the wheel is on solid and refuses to budge even when I use a puller on it. I'm fishing for ideas and advice from the collected experience and wisdom so richly represented here:thumbsup: before I do serious damage to something. I'm ready to use some heat on it but will wait for either confirmation or cautions regarding that route. The last photo shows the 13hp engine I'm repowering the blower with. The original was 8hp. The 13hp will have a larger diameter drive pulley to speed up the machine a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_1998.JPG
    IMG_1998.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_2001.JPG
    IMG_2001.JPG
    125.1 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_2000.JPG
    IMG_2000.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 273
   / How does this wheel come off? #2  
Can't say I've ever seen a wheel with spring like that but with it removed it does look like it should slide right off. Doesn't take much rust to make it difficult. If it was me I'd soak it real good with some WD-40, wait a while and try again. Maybe tap lightly with a ball peen hammer. Good luck.

/ How does this wheel come off?
Can't say I've ever seen a wheel with spring like that but with it removed it does look like it should slide right off. Doesn't take much rust to make it difficult. If it was me I'd soak it real good with some WD-40, wait a while and try again. Maybe tap lightly with a ball peen hammer. Good luck.

This is exactly what I have done so far except I also used a puller on it and "whupped" pretty hard with a 16oz ball peen. All I succeeded in doing was to bend the wheel where I fastened the puller. I took a closer look at the other side and discovered that the wheel is installed the opposite way and held in place with a pin. That one will probably come off with a little less difficulty but not by much. BTW this is a Simplicity - built by or at least marketed by Allis Chalmers in case that helps any.

/ How does this wheel come off? #4  
So when you pull the pin it still won't just slide off the axle?

/ How does this wheel come off? #5  
looking fromthe back, can you see a keyway?

Nope!:thumbdown: I'll have to hook up the puller somehow and persuade it that way.

looking fromthe back, can you see a keyway?

I went back out for another look. There is no keyway? Would this confirm my suspicion that it should freewheel? If so, would that hardware under the spring not prevent it? I don't see any way for that to work.:confused:

Anyway, I took another photo; this time of the opposite wheel. This shows how much DOM tubing is rusted onto the 7/8th" shaft - about 1 3/4th". I sprayed it thoroughly several times with a product called Moovit - a penetrating oil.

Attachments

• IMG_2004.JPG
    IMG_2004.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 223
Both tires are flat and in need of repair/replacement. But believe me - I've considered it, and then some!!:mur:

Sorry Egon! I should have replied with quote.

/ How does this wheel come off? #10  
is it self propelled?