8n starting problems

/ 8n starting problems #1  

jay1864

Tractor
1950 8n ford
I have an early 1950 front mount distributor that will not start it run great last week but not a kick now fire at the plugs and it seems to be getting gas even tried a little spray of guick start but no life any ideas?

/ 8n starting problems #2  
I'd check the points, clean if burnt. Check and clean the inside of the dist cap. Check for spark from the coil to the dist cap.

/ 8n starting problems #3  
   / 8n starting problems #4  
to the op. Instead of the wild goose chase.

hotwire the coil.. see if that changes anything.

if no spark still. put a test lamp in line with coil and battery.. crank over. lamp should blink.

if no lamp.. points are not closing ( gap wide? burnt? etc.. - if burnt.. check condensor with ohm meter to verify it is not open.. )

if lamp stays on, points are shorted ( closed up, shorted condensor..e tc. )

post back

/ 8n starting problems
to the op. Instead of the wild goose chase.

hotwire the coil.. see if that changes anything.

if no spark still. put a test lamp in line with coil and battery.. crank over. lamp should blink.

if no lamp.. points are not closing ( gap wide? burnt? etc.. - if burnt.. check condensor with hm meter to verify it is not open.. )

if lamp stays on, points are shorted ( closed up, shorted condensor..e tc. )

post back

Took the weekend off will try the test tomorrow .I do have fire at the plugs but it is white not a good blue.

/ 8n starting problems #6  
white and blue are good. orange and red are weak.

/ 8n starting problems
Should I still test the coil when I have good fire at plugs

/ 8n starting problems #8  
if you have good snappy white / blue spark at all plugs that will jump a max gap.. then start looking at fuel delivery, air flow and compression. won't hurt to check timing by book with a straight edge, just because.

/ 8n starting problems
Will do hope to start this pm .will keep you posted tks

/ 8n starting problems #10  
good luck , post back