John Deere 850 starter/flywheel question

/ John Deere 850 starter/flywheel question #1  

Deputymcs

Tractor
John Deere 850
Hi,
I just took the starter off of my J.D. 850 because it would occasionally "grind" when I attempted to start the engine.
After removing the starter I noticed that the front surface of a couple of the teeth on the flywheel were ground up a little. The damage, that I could see, was slight and only on the front face of about three teeth. I filed the burs off the damage teeth.
Does anyone know if this is going to be a problem? Again the damage seems be slight. The teeth themselves are in tact and for the most part maintain their factory machined depth and shape. The only damage was in the first small fraction of the front surface of the teeth.
Thanks in advance for any advice you have to offer.

/ John Deere 850 starter/flywheel question #2  
deputy welcome to tractor by net john deere made three 850 pieces of equipment one utility tractor with a denso small starter one backhoe with delco big 40mt starter the other was used in logging business it was 24v denso to address gear problem this is indication of bad spot in flywheel ring any of pieces major undertaking the 850 utility would be easiest dont think it is something that needs to be right away let us know which 850 you have for more advice

/ John Deere 850 starter/flywheel question
Mitch,
Thanks for the reply. I have the J.D. 850 utility tractor.
I do not believe there were any major pieces that came off of the flywheel ring. A couple of the gear teeth had the appearance of being slightly ground down on the front vertical plane of the flywheel ring. Those gear teeth are the ones I filed a little to take the burs off. That I can tell, the only metal that came loose was a little bit of very fine, dust like, iron filings which quite possibly came from the starter gear which was also a little worn.
Thanks again
Mike

/ John Deere 850 starter/flywheel question #4  
there always the possibility it may have been slightly engaged with motor running and stopped before major damage happened starter drive gears are built with metals not as tough as flywheels are so hopefully the 20.oo drive breaks before 1000.00 or more flywheel rips apart cleaning up the gear will help not sure if you noticed also starter drives are chamfer cut to either clock wise or counter clock wise for smoother meshing with flywheel good luck

/ John Deere 850 starter/flywheel question #5  
I would replace that drive. You'll get better mesh with new teeth. As Mitch said, the inexpensive drive can prolong the life of the spendy flywheel.
Jim

/ John Deere 850 starter/flywheel question
Thanks for the information all. I am picking up the new/rebuilt starter tomorrow or the next day. Hope this will solve the problem.
Mike