Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket?

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
My '67 Ford six cyl needs a water pump so I took everything off and am ready to install the new paper gasket that came with the new pump. I had planned to use a little Edelbrock "gasgacinch" on both sides to stick the paper gasket in place while I positioned it. Then I read the instructions and said to use a gasket sealant on both sides of the paper gasket.

Anyone know if I should proceed as planned to use the Edelbrock gasgacinch or should I use some sort of gasket material in a tube to coat both sides of the gasket instead? I do not understand these modern sealants and, after all, I pulled off a paper gasket that had nothing on either side and it lasted 50 years.

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket? #2  
I have always gone by the rule of no RTV with paper, but you should have no problem using something to hold it in place. I prefer Indian head shellac.

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket? #4  
You can use clean grease to adhere gasket to pump and pump to block.

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket? #5  
Yes you can use the gasgacinch. Follow the directions with the product. You could also use a THIN coat of RTV on both sides of gasket, assemble wet and tighten bolts.

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket?
Can I put Gasgacinch on the bolt threads as well?

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket? #7  
Why would you want to? If you want to secure the threads from loosening use an anaerobic sealant like blue Loctite.

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket?
Some of the bolts go through into the water jacket of the block so coolant would seep out, especially under pressure.

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket? #9  
Find out for sure what to do. I once rebuilt a 1969 Alfa duetto engine. I used grease on its head gasket like I'd always done on other engines and the way Dad taught me. I had to later remove the head and put a new gasket in place, dry.

Ralph

/ Anyone understand gasket sealants and truck water pump gasket? #10  
Don't use any RTV on it, it is not necessary and can cause a leak. A gasket is meant to be used by itself.

For the bolts that go into coolant use some thread sealant. I use GM sealant even on Fords;)

I use a LITTLE 3M weather strip adhesive to glue the gasket when necessary.

Horsepower TV on Spike is building a 300. They are going to finish it next week and dyno it.