Chain saws

/ Chain saws #1  

dacoonz

Tractor
Kubota L2800
I need to replace my chain saw. It will be used mostly on small to medium sized trees and branches just to maintain a 10 acre property. About 20-30 hours per year operation. Any suggestions?

/ Chain saws #2  
You will get a different opinion from each and every reply.

For what you are talking about I would look into a Stihl MS290 FARM BOSS. I do not cut much fire wood but have 130 acres leased and family owned to maintain and that is my go-to saw.

Then again you can pick up a Poulan for $100 that might do what you need.

Last edited:
   / Chain saws #3  
The Stihl MS290 Farm Boss is a great saw for your quantity of use and you will likely never wear it out. If you wanted to go premium, the Stihl MS261 pro would be a good choice, but I don't think you need it at your hours per year.

/ Chain saws #4  
Do you have a budget in mind? If not then I would suggest a professional model over a homeowner saw.

/ Chain saws #5  
I have a Stihl MS 170, 311, and 460 Magnum....the little 170 gets used by far the most. For whatever reason, the 170 seems to cut far better than anybody would expect from a smaller saw, and at $180, is affordable. I actually think it cuts stuff up to 12" in diameter (roughly) better than my neighbor's Farm Boss 290....weird, but it sure seems that way. I got the 170 after finding the 311 gets pretty heavy after a couple of hours. I figured I'd use the 170 for just limbing, and bucking, but found I use it for felling a lot as well. If I were to start over, I'd get the similarly sized MS201 based upon how much it gets used, but that's a saw that costs nearly three times as much.

/ Chain saws #6  
I used Poulan saws for 25+ years. Even had three at one time. After reading and hearing nothing but good things about Stihl, I finally broke down and bought the MS291. It was pricey but does it ever cut wood. I sold my Poulans. If you can afford it, the Stihl would be my suggestion. You will not regret it.

/ Chain saws #7  
Figure out what the budget allows and go shopping. Make an attempt to stick with one of the major brands. thumbsup:

Remember that bar length, type of chain and displacement all go together on speed of cutting and ease of handling. More important is one that feels comfortable in your hands.:)

/ Chain saws #8  
Stihl MS250 would be a good candidate as well. I have an older Stihl 025 which I think the MS250 replaced that has been an excellent firewood saw. I also have a MS261 that I like but that seems like quite bit of saw for 10 acres.

/ Chain saws #9  
20-30 hours per year is well above what homeowner saws are rated for (they are considered occasional use and only have 50 hour emissions warranties). I'd suggest mid-grade or pro. If pro (Stihl 261, 362, etc... or Husky XP models, for example) the saw will last you forever and offer the best combination of weight, power, and maintainability.

/ Chain saws #10  
Figure out what the budget allows and go shopping. Make an attempt to stick with one of the major brands. thumbsup:

Remember that bar length, type of chain and displacement all go together on speed of cutting and ease of handling. More important is one that feels comfortable in your hands.:)

This is my advise also. At 30 hours per year you just need a saw you like and one that will start reliably. If you keep the chain sharp any saw will cut wood. I don't see where speed which is a power, weight, and expense trade off would be to important in your case but I could be wrong. I would buy a husky because that is what I know but there are lots of very usable and decent saws for your situation. I would think something about 45 to 50 cc's would be good.