Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #1  

NoTractorExpert

Tractor
Kubota L245DT
I am looking for some much needed help.

A few years ago I bought a used 1980's vintage Kubota L245DT with a loader. I runs like a champ and I've gotten more use out of it than I could have imagined. Anyhow, the loader is powered by a hydraulic pump mounted on the front of the tractor. (It is the original setup as it was purchased new from Kubota.) Hydraulic pump is connected to the front pto shaft. Recently, while plowing/lifting some snow, I noticed a crack in the frame the supports the loader. This, in addition to some whinning from pump when it first starts up and/or when under heavy load. Upon further inspection and removal of the hydraulic pump, I am realizing I may have a big problem which goes beyond a simple weld job on the frame.

The PTO shaft (18 splines) is badly worn, as are the teeth on the female coupler (also 18 splines, obviously) that is used to connect the PTO shaft to the hydraulic pump. (There is a one foot shaft with two chain sprockets that runs between the female coupler and the back of the hydraulic pump.)

I don't have the time or money to tear the machine completely down, which is what would be required to replace the PTO shaft. Even if I did that, I cannot find a replacement female coupler, since Kabota does not make it anymore. I've tried everywhere to find one, to no avail (local machine shops, hub city, etc.). I've read many post on several different website detailing people with the same problem, but have yet to find someone who found a solution that worked.

I considered drilling and tapping several holes into the female coupler, so as to send threaded bolts through the holes to secure the female coupler to the worn shaft. Problem is the machine shop tried to drill the holes and snapped a bit in the process as the coupler is made of hardened steel. Even if we found a hard bit that could drill the hole (which I am sure I can), the guy at the shop told me I won't be able to tap a hole in order to screw the bolts through the holes.

Before I completely quit and weld the coupler to the shaft, I am trying to see if anyone else has suggestions. Here are some others I've considered:

1). JB Weld. Not a real solution, since it would be a temporary fix. Doubt it would hold for long, but it would probably hold for a while. (I don't think the female coupling needs to slide back and forth on the pto, since the two sprockets appear to be made to serve that purpose (ie. they provide for some play front to back between the pto shaft and the hydraulic pump.)
2). Drill a hole or two completely through the female coupler and drill a similar hole all the way through the PTO shaft. Secure the two parts together with steel pins. This would probably work great, but I don't think I have enough room to fit a drill into the area where the PTO shaft is (ie. I don't want to disassemble the entire tractor to complete this repair.) Also, it will be difficult to prevent the drill bit from slipping on the PTO shaft and I doubt the bit will hold up when trying to drill through the female coupler and the PTO shaft. I will probably snap due to heat and inability to continue putting oil on the area I'm drilling.
3) find some type of a sleeve that will fit over the worn shaft. I'm envisioning something with a female end with 18 splines and a male end which would essentially be a brand new 18 spline shaft. I've seen similar pieces of gear meant to increase or decrease the size of a healthy shaft, but I've yet to find a device meant to be used on a worn shaft. I'm sure someone will say this idea won't work because even if such a device existed, the female side will probably slip on the worn shaft.

Here are some photos that show what I'm up against. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Duxbury-20131220-00169.jpg
    Duxbury-20131220-00169.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 2,165
  • Duxbury-20131220-00164.jpg
    Duxbury-20131220-00164.jpg
    621.9 KB · Views: 4,101
  • Duxbury-20131220-00166.jpg
    Duxbury-20131220-00166.jpg
    526.7 KB · Views: 732
   / Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT
Sorry, just realized I misidentified tractor model in the heading of my post. It is a L245DT.

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #3  
How does the pump mount? Did the crack in the loader frame change the angle, even slightly, of the pump? Anything besides dead on straight is going to make the splines "work" while in operation and they will wear out. Can you take a picture of the mount?

I had a notorious problem with a front mount pump on a Massey until we finally realized the previous owner had used the wrong pump mount and the shaft from the engine was slightly off center from the pump mount. Changed the pump mount out and have never had a problem since.

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #4  
We have the same problem on same tractor but on the 4wd coupling onto the front diff. That unit just for hand spraying so last 16 yrs been in 2wd !

Looks like you have some good spline left on the shaft ... maybe there is also some unused good spline left inside the coupling too.
Could this work? .... cut the coupling in half , end for end the splined section, and reweld with a spacer sleeve to line up the good spline sections , align pump carefully & take it easy on the hydraulics.
Rough but quick & low cost. While u have the coupling in two, grind a couple of slots to access plug welds on the bitter end of the shaft if it goes bad in the future.

Better if u can find a new boss with that 18T spline .... I wonder if yr front wheel drive shaft couplings are same size spline? I believe Kubota still sell those.

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #5  
1, find a REAL machine shop. the one you use must be chitty.

hard metal is drill able.. and why tap it. just pin it.. interference fit, add keepers..e tc.

that said. I bet if you look around you might find that coupler surplus.

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT
All good suggestions. I like the idea of cutting the coupling in half and adding a spacer. Better yet...I think I can find a similar coupler that has an 18 spline female end, but the other end of it will not have the same allen screw set up (for fastening to the foot long round shaft) like mine. But if I cut my worn coupler, toss away the end that has the worn splines but save the other side that attaches to the round, foot long shaft, I can also cut the new coupler, then weld those two parts together. Then I should really be cooking with bacon grease.

Tom Seller - you may very well be right about the misalignment issue that has caused the wearing. But if it is a misalignment issue, I'm pretty certain that the misalignment was caused by the crack in the mount (probably relatively recent, but I didn't realize it) and not from improper installation. I say this because - although I have only owned it for 3 years, I can tell from looking up all the part numbers the comprise the loader and hydraulics that it is the original equipment that came with the tractor when it was sold new 20 plus years ago.

I can't take a picture of the mount, because I removed it once I found the crack and sent it out to be rewelded. IT is getting fixed right now and I should have it back tomorrow. Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

Soundguy - good suggestion too. Problem is I don't have the tools (or ability) to drill holes in the coupler and shaft without risking a mistake. Also, I do not own a trailer so I would have to pay someone to transport my tractor to a shop if I had someone do it for me. Still not a bad idea if the other one doesn't work out.

I am happy to have more suggestions (with photos) if anyone has them.

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #7  
the welded splined couple is a viable idea. Us ford folks sometimes have to cut and weld 2 pinion couplers together due to old rear ends using coarse splines and newer rear ends using fine.. so not uncommon to cut and weld a custom coupler. can true it up if you have a pipe or sleeve with a ID colse to the od of the coupler too.

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #8  
Tom Seller - you may very well be right about the misalignment issue that has caused the wearing. But if it is a misalignment issue, I'm pretty certain that the misalignment was caused by the crack in the mount (probably relatively recent, but I didn't realize it) and not from improper installation. I say this because - although I have only owned it for 3 years, I can tell from looking up all the part numbers the comprise the loader and hydraulics that it is the original equipment that came with the tractor when it was sold new 20 plus years ago.

I can't take a picture of the mount, because I removed it once I found the crack and sent it out to be rewelded. IT is getting fixed right now and I should have it back tomorrow. Thanks so much for all the suggestions.

Try to get the alignment as true as possible otherwise you will have some sort of wear on the internal bearings or the coupling. Something has to take the stress of misalignment. Splines should not wear out, so my guess is the misalignment created constant "movement" in the spline coupling as it rotated that wore them down. No matter how you reattach the coupling (weld, whatever), alignment between two rotating shafts is good. If the shop you took the loader to welded it back up into the original position you might solve all your problems.

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #9  
1, find a REAL machine shop. the one you use must be chitty.

hard metal is drill able.. and why tap it. just pin it.. interference fit, add keepers..e tc.

that said. I bet if you look around you might find that coupler surplus.
Yes, chitty chop but wont work anyway - pins or bolts will break, egg out holes, etc.

All good suggestions. I like the idea of cutting the coupling in half and adding a spacer. Better yet...I think I can find a similar coupler that has an 18 spline female end, but the other end of it will not have the same allen screw set up (for fastening to the foot long round shaft) like mine. But if I cut my worn coupler, toss away the end that has the worn splines but save the other side that attaches to the round, foot long shaft, I can also cut the new coupler, then weld those two parts together. Then I should really be cooking with bacon grease.

Soundguy - good suggestion too. Problem is I don't have the tools (or ability) to drill holes in the coupler and shaft without risking a mistake. Also, I do not own a trailer so I would have to pay someone to transport my tractor to a shop if I had someone do it for me. Still not a bad idea if the other one doesn't work out.

I am happy to have more suggestions (with photos) if anyone has them.

the welded splined couple is a viable idea. Us ford folks sometimes have to cut and weld 2 pinion couplers together due to old rear ends using coarse splines and newer rear ends using fine.. so not uncommon to cut and weld a custom coupler. can true it up if you have a pipe or sleeve with a ID colse to the od of the coupler too.
None will solve the problem because of the worn shaft that isnt replaced. Best to leave them mated and fill the void to immobilize the joint. I cant see that it needs to slide back and forth in operation. If not there is a Loctite product for repairing threads that should work [Quick Metal?]. Youll just have to be creative to assure the joint is filled
larry

/ Need a solution for a worn pto splined shaft/female coupler for KUTBOTA L24DT #10  
if a pin won't hold it.. glue won't either..