'88 Ford 1920 4WD Issue

/ '88 Ford 1920 4WD Issue #1  

VAFord1920

Tractor
Ford 1920
I have a 1988 Ford 1920. The 4WD went out. Upon troubleshooting I discovered that a piece of pot metal on the the shifter mechanism broke off inside the tranny. The repair looks easy however I have the following dilemma. I can't find the broke off piece of pot metal nor the detent ball and springs that came loose and fell somewhere into the bowels of the tranny. I am guessing they made their way into the rear. I pulled the two drain plugs hoping they would make their way out but no luck. So I guess my question is, how safe is it to leave them assuming they are in the rear? Is there sufficient clearance in the bottom of the rear where they wouldn't get caught up inside any gears, etc... Or am I missing an easy access point to find those suckers and get them outta there?

Thanks for your help :thumbsup:

/ '88 Ford 1920 4WD Issue #2  
IF it is in the rear end, there is room, but there is no way to know and they won't necessarily stay there. Get a telescoping magnet and probe around through the drain holes. If you don't get any results that way, take the rear transmission cover off and reach down the sides with the magnet.
A more aggressive approach would be to take the 4wd drop box off of the bottom of the transmission and look there or through that access.
Whatever, don't leave the parts in there.

/ '88 Ford 1920 4WD Issue
Will give it a try fishing for the springs and ball with a magnet. Unfortunately the pot metal piece isn't magnetic. Will follow up with how it went. Thanks!