Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #1  

SeaBiscut

Tractor
Ford 1715 and Kubota B3200
I am not sure where I should post this.

I have a 75000 btu Mr. Heater Kerosene Torpedo heater. It is about 10 - 12 years old or so. I went to use it about 2 weeks ago and it would turn on, fire up, but it pulses fuel (almost like low on fuel). I added fresh fuel because I thought I was low but that did not solve the problem. So I took off the cover; good spark on the ignitor, I never adjusted the pressure screw before and I have never serviced the heater (there are not many hours on it probably 7 tanks of fuel ran through it). The existing fuel and air lines were dry rotted and I replaced them with new lines today. The new lines were just a little larger inside diameter and I had to use hose clamps to hold the lines on the air pump and nozzle. I plan on seeing if I can replace them with ones that I will not need hose clamps. Plugged in and turned the heater on and still the same problem. I adjusted the pump pressure screw some but still the same problem. The new fuel lines are clear and I can see what is happening. The unit turns on and pumps fuel to the nozzle but then the fuel drops down the fuel line and then back up (like low fuel; pulsing). I have to purchase a vacuum pump tester so I can test and adjust the pump pressure properly. Before I purchase a vacuum pump pressure tester any ideas what might be the problem? I am still going to set/check the pressure I was just curious what could be causing the problem. Thanks

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #2  
Did you remove the nozzle, and check for blockage..?? It sounds like a siphon nozzle, similar to the one used on my waste oil heater. If the hoses were deteriorated, could be specs of something has one, or both plugged, or just something that was in the fuel, or got by the filter over time.

Would it be possible to safely put the fuel hose in a container, and see if your pump is working..??

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #3  

I have a 75000 btu Mr. Heater Kerosene Torpedo heater. It is about 10 - 12 years old or so. I went to use it about 2 weeks ago and it would turn on, fire up, but it pulses fuel (almost like low on fuel). I added fresh fuel because I thought I was low but that did not solve the problem. So I took off the cover; good spark on the ignitor, I never adjusted the pressure screw before and I have never serviced the heater (there are not many hours on it probably 7 tanks of fuel ran through it). The existing fuel and air lines were dry rotted and I replaced them with new lines today. The new lines were just a little larger inside diameter and I had to use hose clamps to hold the lines on the air pump and nozzle. I plan on seeing if I can replace them with ones that I will not need hose clamps. Plugged in and turned the heater on and still the same problem. I adjusted the pump pressure screw some but still the same problem. The new fuel lines are clear and I can see what is happening. The unit turns on and pumps fuel to the nozzle but then the fuel drops down the fuel line and then back up (like low fuel; pulsing). I have to purchase a vacuum pump tester so I can test and adjust the pump pressure properly. Before I purchase a vacuum pump pressure tester any ideas what might be the problem? I am still going to set/check the pressure I was just curious what could be causing the problem. Thanks

Make sure the fuel tank vent is not clogged.Check the fuel filter and the airfilter for clogging also. Have you set the pressure with a gauge or are you guessing? Is the pressure steady when the unit is running? Is the fan tight on it's shaft? Have you checked the burner nozzle for clogging? Is the ignitor continuously firing?

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #4  

Did you replace the line that goes down into the fuel tank, definitely sounds like its sucking some air in.

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #5  
Try new fuel lines of the correct inside diameter so they fit tight without clamps.

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #6  
all these units have a drop tube that goes into the tank. These generally have a filter on them.

Ive had to replace all my hoses on my units over the years. They just rot away. not sure why. The set of hoses that came with the unit were windshield washer hose materials. The newer rubber hoses are holding up much better.

Also, the fan that causes the suction action for the fuel may be clogged if the old fuel lines were deteriorating.

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater
Well here is an update. I purchased a fuel vacuum test kit from Harbor Freight tonight and the correct size fuel lines. I took the nozzle assembly with me to the parts store to size up the fuel line. I will install new lines and set the pressure tomorrow if I get a chance. I took apart the pump this afternoon and all the filters were clean and the vanes looked good to me. I did watch the Mr. Heater video on You Tube and I want to recheck the pump again. I will update you all when I install the new lines and set the proper pressure. Thanks for all the advice on what to check on.

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #8  
Sounds like you are on your way to fixing it.
I had a similar problem on my Reddy Heater brand torpedo heater. It still didn't run good (intermittant starting and running) after replacing the fuel line components. Turned out the sponge air filter had deteriated to the point of crumbling. Though it looked ok. Little pieces of sponge dust would get into the air pump and stop the vanes from freely sliding outward under centrifical force causing weak air flow. So the air flow wasn't enough to pull the fuel up into the nozzel. Cleaned the air pump (again) and relaced the filter and all was good.

/ Mr. Heater Torpedo Heater #9  
Or some of the Vanes got stuck and do not slide along the hosing.