2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #1  

daRedbone

Tractor
John Deere 5105
I have a '05 model 5105 with just under 600 hours on it. I was using it to clear under brush with the box scraper when the problem began. I was working it at an idle. It revved up slightly while I was looking backwards. I thought I had bumped the foot throttle. About a minute later it did so again returning to idle immediately. Then it began to do so with regularity while feeling like it was down on power. I ran it wide open as I went to the shed. It sounded bad but moved with ease.

Once I made it to the shed I idled it down and dismounted to see if I could see anything wrong. It idled for less than a minute and died. It would not start again.

I changed the fuel filter and drained the water separator. There was no water in it. After priming the system it still would not start. After following the directions in the manual on how to get air out of the system it still will not start. I disconnect the 3 lines from the fuel pump to the injectors at the fuel pump. I turn the motor over and zero drops of fuel come out. I start the tractor on starter fluid and zero drops of fuel comes out.

I check the voltage at the solenoid. 11.5 volts with the key on and an audible click in solenoid when I turn the key on. There are 2 other wires attached to the solenoid but I have no idea what they do.

I'm stumped. Please help. :confused:

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #2  
Loosen fuel line at fitting(parts key #9) while turning engine over does fuel come out of fuel return line fitting?

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem
I'm unsure what parts key #9 is but reference to return must be the single line on top of pump that goes to common line on top and then to tank. I THOUGHT I had cleared air to that point. BOY WAS I WRONG. Lots of air came out. I primed by hand and alternately used starter until both of us are tired and air is still coming out. The engine actually started twice but only ran for 3-4 seconds. Now I'm baffled as to where all the air is coming from. I checked the bleed above the filter/water separator several times. No air there.

Would you expand on were you are see air coming out?

On top of the pump. I disconnected the return line to the tank from the pump. Towards the end of the video the guy refers to bleeding the return line at the first injector. That is what I am doing but down at the pump.

This video my also be of help, as the 5203 also has the 2.9L engine.

I appreciate the video link. This guy deviates quite a bit from the manual. I don't have a problem with that if his method would work. It appears he is pumping all the air into the pump though. I had to fill up that filter but I use the bleeder and filled it up. The engine would not start and so I proceeded to bleed the rest of the system.

One point he made was how his primer became firm. Mine never has. I have to explore that first thing tomorrow.

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #6  
I take when you say pump you mean injection pump and not primer pump.

In the video he is pumping the air OUT. I watched the video again he is talking about bleeding the pressure line/injector line, not the return line. I do agree it looks like, he is pointing to the return line. I have attached a picture of the fuel system from the tech manual for my 2.9, maybe of help.

I have attached the URL to the operators manual.

From the manual, which most likely you have read a dozen times.

Loosen fuel return line (A). Loosen filter base bleed screw (B). Push priming pump (C) until fuel runs out smoothly without spitting, then tighten bleed screw (B).
Loosen injection pump bleed screw (D). Push priming pump (C) until fuel runs out smoothly without spitting, then tighten fuel return line (A) and bleed screw (D).

Still have not answered why you had problem to begin with. It maybe there is a hole in the fuel line, a small hole may not show a leak. Maybe the brush hit the fuel line.

http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMRE72817_19/?tM=FR

Hang in there. I have a saying, it is not that I do not know the answer, just that I have not found it yet.

Attachments

• fuelsystem.pdf
    575.6 KB · Views: 652
I take when you say pump you mean injection pump and not primer pump.

Correct.

In the video he is pumping the air OUT. I watched the video again he is talking about bleeding the pressure line/injector line, not the return line. I do agree it looks like, he is pointing to the return line. I have attached a picture of the fuel system from the tech manual for my 2.9, maybe of help.

Thanks. It has helped already. I have passed it on to 2 other guys so they will understand my system.

I have attached the URL to the operators manual.

From the manual, which most likely you have read a dozen times.

Loosen fuel return line (A). Loosen filter base bleed screw (B). Push priming pump (C) until fuel runs out smoothly without spitting, then tighten bleed screw (B).
Loosen injection pump bleed screw (D). Push priming pump (C) until fuel runs out smoothly without spitting, then tighten fuel return line (A) and bleed screw (D).

Yessir, I've been through this plus much more.

Still have not answered why you had problem to begin with. It maybe there is a hole in the fuel line, a small hole may not show a leak. Maybe the brush hit the fuel line.

I was using it to clear under brush with the box scraper when the problem began. I was working it at an idle. It revved up slightly while I was looking backwards. I thought I had bumped the foot throttle. About a minute later it did so again returning to idle immediately. Then it began to do so with regularity while feeling like it was down on power. I ran it wide open as I went to the shed. It sounded bad but moved with ease.

Once I made it to the shed I idled it down and dismounted to see if I could see anything wrong. It idled for less than a minute and died. It would not start again.

I checked all lines and can't find any obvious cuts or wet spots. I'm going to pressurize the system tomorrow.

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #8  
The reason I stated to check to see if fuel will come out return line fitting at inj pump while turning engine over is inj pump CAN'T pump fuel if return line or return line fitting is plugged.

/ 2005 John Deere 5105 with a fuel supply problem #9  
Please consider keeping us posted on your progress.

While I might be reaching, here are some other things you may want to consider have you opened the drain value on the bottom of the fuel tank to see, if any sediment comes out you may have got some junk in your fuel tank. Also looking at JDparts.com there is a strainer back by the fuel tank that may have got plugged up. Behind the SMV sign there is a vent elbow fitting and hose, maybe the tank is not venting, could just take the cap for now. This could be what caused the initial problem.

If it turns out you need to replace your fuel lines JDparts.com has different part numbers for the fuel lines, so you tractor fuel lines (supply and return) could be of different sizes as it is on my tractor.

Last edited:
The reason I stated to check to see if fuel will come out return line fitting at inj pump while turning engine over is inj pump CAN'T pump fuel if return line or return line fitting is plugged.

That is all clear. That fitting is the best place to flush the system.