JD 1050 over heating

/ JD 1050 over heating #1  

martosfarm

Tractor
John Deere 1050
I have a john deere 1050 2wd . It used to run fine all day and now it over heats after about 30 min of running it. I put new belt on and flushed the radiator real good. But still seems to over heat? Was thinking of maybe getting radiator cored. Any ideas would appreciate it. Also replaced new thermostat. Was also wondering if anyone know if fan is a pusher(out towards front of tractor) or puller towards engine?

/ JD 1050 over heating #2  
check all the filters. Fan should blow on motor or at least my 50 series did. Did you see if the lower radiator hose was collapsed? How's the water pump?

/ JD 1050 over heating
All filters are clean I stripped whole tractor down to reclean and repaint some things on chassis. water pump good still recirculating fluid? lower rad hose in good shape. thankyou !

/ JD 1050 over heating #4  
A lower radiator hose would collapse at high rpm's. The debris screen is clean I assume. My 950 had a temperature sensor switch that when it went would cause over heating. Also, there are rubber foam seals all around the cowl inside the hood. These must be in good shape for adequate cooling to better direct air flow. If all of the above is good, then i would have he radiator professionally cleaned. You wouldn't believe the gunk that can get trapped in there after all these years. If you have a heat gun, you can shoot the radiator to catch "cold spots" which would indicate blockage.

/ JD 1050 over heating
Thanks again for the info. I never thought about temp switch being bad and low rad hose collapse at high speeds?

/ JD 1050 over heating #6  
If you are running along just fine and all at once the temp goes up real fast and you slow down the temp comes back down just about as fast it went up. You might have a cracked head and getting exhaust gases in the cooling system, then it air locks. If you have the hot light you well not be able to see this can only see this with a temp gauge.

/ JD 1050 over heating #7  
If you are running along just fine and all at once the temp goes up real fast and you slow down the temp comes back down just about as fast it went up. You might have a cracked head and getting exhaust gases in the cooling system, then it air locks. If you have the hot light you well not be able to see this can only see this with a temp gauge.

Hope that is not his case and it could be. JD gets $2000 for a populated head. Crack could be sealed by an experienced mechanic if it comes to that. Unfortunately , these heads are very prone to cracking especially once they've over heated for any other reason. I for one am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Coolant level staying up?

/ JD 1050 over heating
Thanks for all the suggestions I appreciate it. I am gonna try a few things when western pa gets out of deep freeze! Cold here haha

/ JD 1050 over heating #9  
I have a john deere 1050 2wd . It used to run fine all day and now it over heats after about 30 min of running it. I put new belt on and flushed the radiator real good. But still seems to over heat? Was thinking of maybe getting radiator cored. Any ideas would appreciate it. Also replaced new thermostat. Was also wondering if anyone know if fan is a pusher(out towards front of tractor) or puller towards engine?

Have you checked the water temperature wih a thermometer to verify an overheat condition?

Have you blown out the air side of the radiator with compressed air?

Have you checked the belt tension on the water pump drive?

Is your radiator cap holding the correct pressure?

Make sure your air filter is not clogged.