LS Tractor Throttle Cable Frozen

/ LS Tractor Throttle Cable Frozen #1  

JackTuran

Tractor
LS 3030I
It has been extremely cold this winter. I have found that the throttle handle won't move until extensive, 45 min. of engine warm up. Dealer said it is because moisture got in throttle cable housing and is frozen around the cable. Anyone else having this issue? I am thinking about using a heat tape around the cable to keep from freezing.
Would WD 40 be a solution once thawed?

/ LS Tractor Throttle Cable Frozen #2  
I would try to pour some gas line antifreeze on the cable. Let gravity be your friend. Then, once you have it freed up, put some lubricant on it--something that doesn't attract dust if you can find it.

/ LS Tractor Throttle Cable Frozen
I would try to pour some gas line antifreeze on the cable. Let gravity be your friend. Then, once you have it freed up, put some lubricant on it--something that doesn't attract dust if you can find it.

Thanks, will try

Jack

/ LS Tractor Throttle Cable Frozen #4  
WD-40 displaces the water in the cable, but is not a very effective lubricant. I use Tri Flow in the control cables in all my equipment. It does not attract dust or moisture since it becomes a dry lube when the solvent in it evaporates. I think it contains moly or Teflon. Buy or borrow a motorcycle cable lube tool to make the job lots easier..........Dan.

WD-40 displaces the water in the cable, but is not a very effective lubricant. I use Tri Flow in the control cables in all my equipment. It does not attract dust or moisture since it becomes a dry lube when the solvent in it evaporates. I think it contains moly or Teflon. Buy or borrow a motorcycle cable lube tool to make the job lots easier..........Dan.

Thanks Dan. Do you think Tractor Supply would have the motorcycle cable tool?
Jack

/ LS Tractor Throttle Cable Frozen #6  
Every motorcycle or bicycle shop used to carry cable lubers. Owned/used one myself for years. Probably a standard shelf item still yet. You can order them online...Ebay ($7 w/ free shipping), Amazon, Motion Pro etc. My son just went through this same issue on the Ford backhoe at his work. Every time the temps dropped below freezing the throttle cable freezes. A motorcycle shop should also carry cable lube. Good brands are designed like the Tri Flow that Tree Farmer mentioned. Can of lube and the cable luber should be under $20.

Every motorcycle or bicycle shop used to carry cable lubers. Owned/used one myself for years. Probably a standard shelf item still yet. You can order them online...Ebay ($7 w/ free shipping), Amazon, Motion Pro etc. My son just went through this same issue on the Ford backhoe at his work. Every time the temps dropped below freezing the throttle cable freezes. A motorcycle shop should also carry cable lube. Good brands are designed like the Tri Flow that Tree Farmer mentioned. Can of lube and the cable luber should be under $20.

Thanks for the info. Will go on Amazon to check.

Jack Turan